UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2019, 11:56 am   #101
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV in administration.

If this isn't taking this thread OT, Rapture Records are at 12 Market Square, Witney (01993 700567) and 'Truck Music Store' are at 101 Cowley Road, Oxford (01865 793866). Both have websites from which further info. may be found. (Usual disclaimer-no connection with either shop other than as a satisfied customer of the former) Fopp Records are in Gloucester Green, Oxford, b.t.w., but I'm not sure when they're due to close.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 3:41 pm   #102
electronicskip
Nonode

Did Fopp records take over the 4 Music Markets that were situated in the centre of Oxford in the early 80?
I used to haunt those shops when I was at college in Oxford , one even had an Arcade inside too.
Old 6th Feb 2019, 4:09 pm   #103
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Re the Marconi archive Live Wire [p98]-I've not been to the Bodleian yet either but I will be looking for info re the 1909 Wireless Station at Newhaven [not far from here in Bexhill].
You can see the catalogue on line but it's just an "outline" really if you want to dig deeper. There was a big Hoo Haa a few years ago when the Marconi Company Archive needed a new home and [eventually] the "Bod" stepped in to do a rescue job. It was very much featured in the news at the time! The Pitt Williams Museum is wonderfully eccentric place to visit! I may well have been in Fopp Oxford in the past. It was only a few years ago I discovered that it was actually a group of shops!

I used to go in the Oxford Govt Surplus Store in the eighties [opposite the Old Fire Station] now a trendy Arts Centre! They once absolutely refused a reduction on an R216 RX [it was a bit rougher than the other two] so I bought both the better ones.
I finished up with a cheaper price for the two in the end as the chap didn't seem to be able to add up

Dave

Finally-I often mention an interest in coincidence. As I typed the first lines here [with Coronation Street 1990 on in the background via ITV3] "Jim Macdonald" said to his aspiring Pirate Radio teenage sons, "Who do you think you are Marconi?" They are soldering up the TX just now. I'm surprised I don't recall this radio story line at all

Last edited by dave walsh; 6th Feb 2019 at 4:39 pm.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:33 am   #104
Grubhead
Heptode

I noticed at the weekend that the online store has been discontinued, though I couldn't find any mention of this on Google. You could buy CD and DVD online from them, without going to a store. But now all the HMV website is a glorified entertainment magazine website. The HMV website also makes no mention of what has happened to the "online Shop". Nor does it mention anything to do with the closure of stores.
HMV moan about Amazon, but lots of separate companies actually do sell their products via Amazon. There was no reason that HMV couldn't have done the same.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:09 am   #105
Nuvistor
Dekatron

According to the website they appear to still be run by the administrator, although the site as a Sunrise Records name on it.
Perhaps they deal is going through but I presume will take time, one casualty is the online store perhaps to return when the formalities have been dealt with.

See contact details.
https://www.hmv.com/contact-us
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:26 pm   #106
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Just been on the website, they no longer sell albums, of which I bought a small hoard last year from them.
Does anyone on this forum know of any good online album shops?
I can't be arsed anymore with downloading albums followed by burning to disc, it's easier to buy it ready made.
If someone can point me the right way, that'll be of great help.
Rick.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 8:38 pm   #107
Kentode
Octode

Rick, if you go to your local newsagents and browse the music mags for the type of music you like you'll find loads of adverts for independent record distributors.

For older stuff you can't beat Discogs.

Hope that helps.

Ps, I'm going to miss HMV Bury.

BVWS member
Old 12th Feb 2019, 9:31 pm   #108
electronicskip
Nonode

Went into HMV Cheltenham today, business as usual quite a few people in , lots of stock and no heavy markdowns.
Old 12th Feb 2019, 11:40 pm   #109
Dual Standard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
Just been on the website, they no longer sell albums, of which I bought a small hoard last year from them.
According to HMV's new owner Doug Putman, the online store is currently down while it is being revamped but he hopes to have it open again in a few weeks.

There are many great online stores but I too would recommend using discogs for older, secondhand or for anything out of stock at normal dealers. There are loads of independent record shops and most offer some sort of online order service, some through discogs. As Kentode says have a shuffles in one of music magazines.

Mike
Old 12th Feb 2019, 11:52 pm   #110
Dual Standard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Went into HMV Cheltenham today, business as usual quite a few people in , lots of stock and no heavy markdowns.
Just the same in Stockport when I called in last Friday. Spent half an hour browsing their stock, picked up a Oneohtrix Point Never CD that I had been looking for and had a nice chat with the guy on the till about dance music and suggested I checkout an artist that was new me.

Mike
Old 13th Feb 2019, 2:18 pm   #111
Grubhead
Heptode

Music Magpie is good for second hand CD's and DVD's. They make certain they play before sending them out.
There's also Matt's for new and old
mattscdsingles
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:45 am   #112
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I heard some great news yesterday. The HMV store in Bath has been saved and apparently it is already open for business.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 7:00 pm   #113
dave walsh
Dekatron

Of the 4 Fopp [related] stores I see that [from Wikki] the one in Bristol was given a reprieve on February 8th, due to public demand! Looking at the popularity of these smaller outlets and despite the apparent decline in the market overall, I'm surprised that the new owner [who seems to be the kind of guy you might hope for [despite the "bottom line"] hasn't tried to integrate the Fopp Ethos into the remaining HMV premises at least-even if retention of all of them wasn't possible. There is such a big difference between the two after all.

According to some commentators on the "collapse" of the high street, the integration of more housing and niche style business outlets on a community basis is a way forward. It's felt that people will always want an "actual" shopping experience, even with ever-increasing on-line sales. I didn't find that much up-to date info on line but I am assuming that Fopp Manchester really has gone? Does anyone go past-is it empty.

Dave W
E Sussex
Old 15th Feb 2019, 7:37 pm   #114
Richard_FM
Octode

I went past Fopp in Manchester a week ago & the shutters were down, not sure if the stock had been moved out.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:37 am   #115
dave walsh
Dekatron

OK thanks very much for that response Richard. I got to know a couple of staff members

Dave
Old 25th Feb 2019, 4:45 pm   #116
Dual Standard
Hexode

Good News!
It now very much looks like the doom and gloom brigade have been proven wrong. The new owner is keeping to his promise and has reopened several of the closed stores including FOPP Glasgow, HMV Bluewater, Bath, Braehead, Meadowhall, Reading, Tunbridge Wells, Plymouth and Merry Hill. A rolling update can be found at https://www.hmv.com/music/hmv-stores-re-opening
If you are passing call in and say hello or better still spend some money!

Mike
Old 25th Feb 2019, 10:28 pm   #117
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I hope they can make a go of it, I feel it’s going to be difficult but good luck to them. Since learning through this thread that there is a local shop I have been in a bought something a couple of times. Unfortunately the amount of CD’s and DVD’s I buy will not keep them open, I have more than enough music and the radio is also a good source.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 8:29 am   #118
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing Bits! View Post
Does anyone on this forum know of any good online album shops?
I can't be arsed anymore with downloading albums followed by burning to disc, it's easier to buy it ready made.
If someone can point me the right way, that'll be of great help.
Rick.
I use retrobloke ,its the same guy who runs retrogames of which I also use from time to time.

http://www.retrobloke.com/

Great website and lots of rare stuff.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 1:33 pm   #119
barretter
Heptode

There are rather a lot of LPs on eBay.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 2:25 pm   #120
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I also wonder how many copies of themodern 180 gram vinyl pressings are sold, particularly of those which are re-issues of classic Lps of yesteryearr. For example, I still have my original copy of 'Simon & Grafunkel's Greatest Hits, which cost £2.45 back in 1974. In today's money that would be, I guess, about £20, but the re-issue sells for £30 or more, which makes it, in real terms about 1.5 times the price it was in the mid 70s.
Closed Thread