UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2013, 4:59 pm   #1
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Singer Sewing Machine- Bulbs

I mentioned this sewing machine sometime ago. My partner now has it up and running, working very well indeed. It looks remarkably modern, but by the bakelite foot pedal this suggests 1950s?

I'm having problems with the bulb however, the original is long blown and despite trying three different similar sized replacements they just won't fit! The original is a Philips 25W type, especially made for Singer. I've photographed it against one of the new unsuccessful replacements.

I might have to end up modifying the bulb holder. It's a small bayonet holder type. Perhaps others have experienced this problem?

Attached are some photos of the unit including the unusual grey Neutral and black Live mains lead.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upto 12-3-13 081.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	77377   Click image for larger version

Name:	upto 12-3-13 089.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	77378   Click image for larger version

Name:	upto 12-3-13 090.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	77379   Click image for larger version

Name:	upto 12-3-13 097.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	77380   Click image for larger version

Name:	upto 12-3-13 094.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	77381  

Old 12th Mar 2013, 5:05 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Singer Sewing Machine- Bulbs

Have you tried here:-

http://www.singermachines.co.uk/sewingmachineparts/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Mar 2013, 5:27 pm   #3
richrussell
Heptode

Yes, almost certainly a 1960s model - I can't remember the model type, but I have one of the very similar models on my bench at the moment, but straight stitch only.

If you look on the base or possibly the back, you'll find the serial number. Have a look at the ISMACS database to find out which month and year it was made in.

I've been restoring several Singer machines for family members. Currently have a 1935 one, a 1952 one and a 1965 one

Personally, I prefer using our 1960's Husqvarna. Way better design and build quality than contemporary Singers. And it's metallic green
Old 12th Mar 2013, 6:35 pm   #4
paulsherwin

My 1935 Singer 201k uses a standard SBC 15W pygmy bulb - not as easy to find as the SES ones but still pretty common.

Singer made pretty much the same machines from the early 20s to the mid 60s with largely cosmetic changes. They go on forever if looked after and often outperform modern electronic machines.
Old 12th Mar 2013, 7:04 pm   #5
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Never had a problem with the bulbs, as only some of my machines have add on motors and lights, you seem to get more problems with the pedals and the old wiring.
I still have some original singer bulbs.
19 machines at the moment, mostly Singer, from 1907-1945.
Old 12th Mar 2013, 8:35 pm   #6
paulsherwin

The suppressor caps inside the pedal can fail short circuit as with radios, but are easy to replace. You know they need changing when the machine starts to run without your having touched the pedal. There are no safety implications, though it's normal to get a very slight tingle from the machine as nothing is earthed.

The pedal in the photo looks exactly the same as mine. They used the same design for 40 years, with just a rheostat and a couple of suppressor caps inside.

That machine looks as if it may have started life as an industrial machine. Does it use domestic needles (with a flat on the shank) or industrial ones? The mains lead is American standard not British, which also suggests it's industrial rather than having been made at the UK domestic factory at Kilbowie, Glasgow.
Old 12th Mar 2013, 9:14 pm   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I inherited one of those from my mother. It's a domestic machine, model 327K .

David
Old 12th Mar 2013, 11:46 pm   #8
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Brian, regarding the bulbs not fitting, you have not advised what happens when trying to install fails.

In your photos, the new bulb appears to have the side locating pins at different heights. If this is the case, when attempting to install in:-
a) a standard holder, the bulb will not turn to lock in place
b) the correct holder but with the pins 180 degrees out, the bulb will not turn as (a)

Good Luck - Mike

Last edited by mike_newcomb; 12th Mar 2013 at 11:48 pm. Reason: clarity
Old 13th Mar 2013, 1:45 am   #9
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

You do get a lot of machines that get quoted as industrial, even though they are just home use machines, like the 99k's.
As the one above is an ally body, its a home use machine, the 201k and 15k's are more of an industrial machine, as you can put you finger under the needle on them when its going.
Old 13th Mar 2013, 3:00 am   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

I suppose the special Singer bulbs must be designed to cope with the vibration that you usually get with a sewing machine. My mother was a machinist and has a 15k machine which was in regular use until recently. The bulb assembly used to vibrate markedly at certain speeds, but I don't recall her having had to change the bulb very often. Conversely, the filaments of ordinary pygmy bulbs don't seem to be particularly robust and in any event are too large to fit the Singer lamp assembly, bought new in the mid-1950's.
Old 13th Mar 2013, 11:13 am   #11
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I have some original Singer bulbs and they seem to have a lot thicker glass than the modern ones, with the normal add on motor at 5amp its not as though they get a tough life.
Old 13th Mar 2013, 11:58 am   #12
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_newcomb View Post
Hi Brian, regarding the bulbs not fitting, you have not advised what happens when trying to install fails.
Many thanks to you all for your interesting contributions and links. Mike- the replacement bulbs won't physically fit! Either the glass is slightly too wide or the metal body marginally too small to reach the terminals in the holder. The original bulb fits no problem.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 27th Mar 2013, 4:50 pm   #13
hannahs radios
Hexode

Hi. Can you tell me what voltage range your machine is rated for the one we bought for my nan in the late 1970s was for 150 to 250 volts 50 or 60c/s. 150 volt mains were used in South America and Austria sugesting a for sale anywhere machine
Closed Thread