UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2013, 8:30 pm   #1
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hoover Dustette

I already have a Dustette 100 with The Dustette logo and not a Hoover logo on the bag, it's still working well, anyway.

Today I picked up a Dustette model 2614, in used condition, but still pretty good, I have noticed that some parts are still available for this model, so I was wondering, how old is this model, 60's, 70's?
I know that they are not worth much, but it will be put to good use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	75939  
Old 9th Feb 2013, 2:06 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hoover Dustette

The 2614 came out during 1955 and replaced the 100, hence "New Hoover Dustette". It was superceded by the 2614B sometime during the early 1970's and then by the 2614C until production stopped around 1980. I say "superceded" but production of the first two may have overlapped, I'm not sure.

You're very lucky to find one with the tools in their little storage rack. You could punch out a hole in the back of the rack and hang it in the cupboard under the stairs, or wherever, if so desired.

I wouldn't care to say if the mains lead is original. Does it have that familiar Hoover 'ribbed' surface on it?

Whatever, it's a nice little find so well done.
Old 9th Feb 2013, 2:20 am   #3
paulsherwin

I have a mid 60s Dustette, inherited from a relative and sadly without the accessories and storage rack. It also has an aftermarket replacement bag. It still sees regular use.

You are very lucky to find such a complete example, especially if you bought it at a reasonable price.

Mine has the original mains cable.
Old 9th Feb 2013, 2:25 am   #4
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Yes it has the ribbed lead and it's all in good condition. I could have also had a cylinder Hoover in its box; it had all the original tags still on it but I already have one, plus two Kirbys and two Dustettes. That's enough.
Old 9th Feb 2013, 2:30 pm   #5
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Keith, nice to see the picture of the old Hoover Perivale factory in the box.

It is now a Tescos, but they retained much of the outer walls and frontage etc.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 9th Feb 2013, 3:56 pm   #6
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I remember going to one of the Hoover factories, I used to work for a company that made the motor cases, but that was over 25 years ago.
It has bags with it, one pack unopened, 3 shillings a pack.
Was £10 reasonable?
Old 9th Feb 2013, 4:24 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In a previous job I remember ordering 20 of the later model direct from Hoover: it was for a MoD project and a "Dustette" was issued as part of the line-printer maintenance-kit for each site we connected to the network.

[The maintenance-kit also included a cream-handled "Addis" nylon-bristle brush of the type generally seen accompanying a plastic dustpan].
Closed Thread