UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2012, 6:39 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Power supplies

I should think most of the noise on a modern will be from all the other electronics in the system. You may well get a kick from the starter, but that's once per journey. The alternator control, not to mention output ripple, could be pretty noisy, and stuff like injector drivers (petrol and common rail diesel) takes large gobs of current for short intervals with an audio range prf.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Jan 2012, 2:16 pm   #22
davegsm82
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Inductive spikes from glow plugs? How - they are a resistance, not an inductance......
They are spiral wound heating elements (usually, other types do exist such as PTC) and the fact that a set of 4 plugs will draw about 56 AMPS means that the wiring to them becomes a high current 1-turn inductive loop.

I've got a secondary heater (peugeot 306) in the coolant hoses on my golf, the arc from the original relay that I used was quite impressive!

Dave.
Old 4th Jan 2012, 2:50 pm   #23
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

I have used this device on some pic based designs that I did a few years ago. The propulsion system was as noisy as you get in typical automotive sytems and they behaved perfectly. These devices are designed for these harsh environments.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/LM2931-D.PDF

Mike
Closed Thread