UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2008, 11:11 pm   #1
mimesia
Retired Dormant Member

Default Alternative Sound Synthesisers

I recently built an electrochemical synthesiser which has recently been featured on synthtopia
The website features many other strange audio devices and prompted me in remembering building an electronics unit aged about 12 from a circuit in Practical Electronics - which after some scouring of the internet found again in this Forum! ("Ian Loveday's "Soundbox") ..

I wondered if any of you have recorded the sounds made from the device or have a video of one being "played"?

I think there would be a great deal of interest now in the sounds produced by such a circuit, so I wondered if any members would be interested in posting a video/mp3 available of Sounds Familiar in action - alternatively I would be very interested in acquiring a working unit - I don't think OC81s and AC126's are around anymore - or would it be possible to reproduce the circuit using modern day components?...
Old 25th Aug 2008, 11:26 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Alternative Sound Synthesisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimesia View Post
I don't think OC81s and AC126's are around anymore - or would it be possible to reproduce the circuit using modern day components?...
Germanium transistors like these are often available from eBay sellers and don't cost a fortune. Alternatively you could scavenge some from a scrap 1960s transistor radio.

More modern silicon transistors should work in the circuit too.

Paul
Closed Thread