UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2019, 8:42 pm   #1
Skintin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Replacement cartridge for Dansette Imperial

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice on replacing my cartridge on my Dansette Imperial. It currently has a BSR TC8H ful fi cartridge fitted.

Any suggestions as a replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1308.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	178710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1307.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	178711  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 9:56 pm   #2
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Replacement cartridge for Dansette Imperial

The Stylus Lady has a few - here's one - https://www.thestyluslady.co.uk/bsr-...unt-1805-p.asp - the earlier TC8hs were very high output - 800mV - even 1.1V! And...are you sure the cartridge is at fault? What's the problem?
Old 19th Feb 2019, 10:03 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

Decent two valve push pull amplifier fitted ( ecl86 if my memory is correct ).
I don’t think you have a TC8H cartridge fitted, yours is White, normally H is orange, recheck, should be TC8M. Are you sure the cartridge is faulty?
Dansette.com supply suitable replacements, not original, but they do work.
Cheers
John
Old 20th Feb 2019, 1:47 am   #4
dalgwcobl
Pentode

My recollection is that the white TC8 body was the lowest output, the brown was medium and red/orange the highest output.
Old 20th Feb 2019, 7:04 am   #5
Skintin
Retired Dormant Member

On certain records the needle is jumping and I have checked the stylus weight and it's tracking at 12g. So I am thinking it could possibly be a worn stylus.
With this happening I was looking at a alternative to upgrading the cartridge and getting one that was stereo record friendly.

It definitely has the markings TC8H ful fi and on the opposite side it has TC8G and TC8R

Just confused on what is out there as a possible replacement.
Old 20th Feb 2019, 9:30 am   #6
John10b
Nonode

Hi the markings are for the stylus, R is microgrove, G is for 78 records.
If you take a look at the sticky on cartridges produced by Ben with contributions by other forum members you will find a wealth of information.
I’m still puzzled, the white body does not suggest a H cartridge, as other member said.
Tracking at 12 grams is too high, should be half, I think a new stylus will stop your records jumping groves.
Cheers
John
Old 20th Feb 2019, 11:08 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If this is a TC8H, then it is entirely the wrong cartridge for your Dansette "Imperial".
The amplifier in this has a good gain and I would urge you to buy a BSR X5M stereo-compatible, mono cartridge whilst there are still some stocks left. Set the tracking to just 5 grams only. Assuming the BSR TC8H is working well, these are worth a small fortune in their own right and you could sell this to recover the cost of the new cartridge.
Old 20th Feb 2019, 1:04 pm   #8
electrogram
Heptode

I thought the white, or cream,bodied ones had even higher output than the orange bodied ones
Old 20th Feb 2019, 3:03 pm   #9
ekjdm14
Banned

Ful-Fi seems to be an aftermarket cartridge from what I've seen on that auction site. (I've only been half-heartedly looking for a TC8H myself to go in a Fidelity player I have with single UL84 output).

The TC8H's I have seen have all been Orange, TC8M being brown and the white bodies have been TC8S stereo compatibles :/
Old 20th Feb 2019, 3:34 pm   #10
John10b
Nonode

I didn’t know about the “white one being for Stereo”, interesting.
I would hope that with the help of forum members we can put this to bed once and for all, this question has been discussed before in other posts!
Cheers
John
Old 20th Feb 2019, 4:14 pm   #11
electrogram
Heptode

There is a white stereo tc8s cartridge, the cream one in the pic is a mono, non stereo compatible very high output cartridge
Old 20th Feb 2019, 4:41 pm   #12
peter_sol
Octode

I do not think that is the original cartridge
The earliest TC8H types were white.
The original cartridge would have been lighter so someone has shoved that in and not re adjusted the weight,
Old 20th Feb 2019, 4:48 pm   #13
John10b
Nonode

I think you might be right. With the amp used you don’t need a high output cartridge.
I hope Ben can add this to his data on cartridges, possibly mentioning colours.
Cheers
John
Old 20th Feb 2019, 5:12 pm   #14
Techman
Dekatron

Hey chaps! I'm a little bit shocked at some of the advice being given regarding this cartridge. Most people posting on this thread have been on here long enough, and read enough threads on the subject (which has been done to death over the years, and particularly just recently) to know that we should definitely NOT be advising someone to replace a TC8 with another TC8 type cartridge which is NON-stereo compatible, unless they've categorically stated in their request that they're going to be playing only 1960s mono 45 rpm records on this player.

The OP states that it's 'jumping' on certain records - well, I should think it IS jumping (and probably ruining) stereo pressings probably dating after 1970, if that's what the cartridge is being used for.

Can we also just get another point put to bed once and for all, and that's that the 'stereo' white version of this cartridge is NOT stereo compatible, even though it has the necessary 'gubbins' within it to reproduce the two stereo channels. The mechanicals of this cartridge in the shape of that metal shank with a twist in it that has the stylus tip on the end of it is exactly the same as the mono non-compatible version and is therefore likely to damage your records just the same.

We've talked before in a very recent thread regarding how much damage will be done with each play of a previously mint condition record with such a cartridge, and from what I remember of that thread, no one strongly disagreed that there would NOT be any such damage.

It sounds like I'm saying that I don't like the old TC8, but that's not the case. I actually love the TC8 for what it is, and I've even got the so called stereo version that I bought brand new back in the day when I was building various audio systems, and I would have definitely used it to play stereo records at the time before I knew better - but I wouldn't do it now, although I accept that it's still a very debatable subject and I still have the records I would have played with it when I was younger, albeit a bit more 'worn' than they were originally

So come on chaps, we all know better as regards to these old cartridges - don't we?
Old 20th Feb 2019, 5:30 pm   #15
Skintin
Retired Dormant Member

guys thank for the replies. i am looking to play stereo records on this dansette along with 45's.

i have had a look around the internet at various sites and the bsr x5m seems to be a rarity these days. is there any other alternatives?

ps i took a detailed photo of the cartridge so you can see the markings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1310.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	178750  
Old 20th Feb 2019, 5:43 pm   #16
John10b
Nonode

I think Edward #7 gave the correct advice don’t you think?
Cheers
John
Old 20th Feb 2019, 5:56 pm   #17
Skintin
Retired Dormant Member

yip i totally agree 100% with what you are saying along with edward. however, a quick search through all the available sites on the internet and the only hit coming back is in canada for the x5m.

the only other cartridge i have seen is at this link

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acat...72.html#SID=13
Old 20th Feb 2019, 6:09 pm   #18
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, I had noted that Edward was the only person to get it right. As I said, some of the advice, meaning not all of the advice, and some was sort of in between

The BSR X5M although being mono only, has the necessary mechanics to be stereo compatible.

You can pretty much examine the construction of a cartridge, in particular the stylus shank and cantilever to assess whether it has the necessary compatibility to track stereo records correctly without damage.

This 'up and down' compatibility is nothing new, remember the Edison Diamond disc from just after the turn of the last century which used the 'hill and dale' rather than side to side movement to pick up the groove modulation - guess who ruined the odd diamond disc by playing it on an ordinary gramophone with a steel needle when he was a younger - and wondered why it sounded so thin and worn
Old 20th Feb 2019, 6:18 pm   #19
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintin View Post

the only other cartridge i have seen is at this link

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acat...72.html#SID=13
It certainly looks like the cartridge in the link would be suitable, but the prices are certainly on the up!
Old 20th Feb 2019, 6:21 pm   #20
John10b
Nonode

Just to clarify, the Dansette Imperial is a mono rp, do you have an additional add on unit to allow you to play and hear Stereo?
Musonic has a decent selection of cartridges, I’ll let other better informed members advise you on the best one to go for.
Cheers
John
Closed Thread