UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2019, 9:07 pm   #1
Scott37
Tetrode

Default Audio phase correction

I encountered in an old thread the term 'audio phase correction' in relation to AM radio. Could someone tell me (in not too technical terms) what this is about? Thanks
Old 12th Feb 2019, 9:24 pm   #2
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Audio phase correction

Hi Scott,
Not sure if what I'm thinking is relevant but I've heard that, prior to transmission, the audio is often subjected to all pass (i.e. phase only) filtering. The aim is to smear the frequency components of transients so that they attain a lower peak while sounding the same. It's corruption really, but it enables a higher apparent modulation.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 9:30 am   #3
Scott37
Tetrode

Thanks, but what I was thinking of is where several transmitters share the same frequency, as a way of reducing problems in so-called mush areas.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 10:10 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

There have been several threads concerning the effects of transmitters radiating the same content on the same frequency. Try a search for 'mush zone', synchronised transmitters etc. I'm sure something will pop up.
Old 13th Feb 2019, 12:26 pm   #5
Andrew2
Nonode

Scott - try this page:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/search?Type...ns&Decade=1970