UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2019, 10:41 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Cable that 'melts' paint in storage

Hi.

This is an interesting thread.

I've also seen cases of an 'impression' made in the painted finish of metal cabinets that have had PVC mains leads left draped over them.

My bungalow's wall insulation comprises polystyrene balls, which I'm told should have had a binding agent applied when they were injected into the wall cavity. It's evident, that in the loft space around the top of the wall cavities, there's a build up of the polystyrene balls. The PVC mains wiring appeared to be covered by them in a number of places and some have stuck to the cables. I spent considerable time cleaning up the polystyrene balls after finding out the potentially dangerous effect of damaged wiring.

I also came across a similar effect where a latex glove had been left on a lacquered painting. The lacquer had been stripped off in the area of contact.

Regarding clear lacquer. It's not always compatible with some plastics. I tried an experiment by painting a PVC radio handle with a water based acrylic paint and it dried perfectly well but was a matt finish. Spraying with an acrylic clear lacquer, probably with xylene resulted in a good finish. The problem is, there's some kind of adverse reaction as the handle is permanently sticky. It's most likely due to a reaction with the PVC handle. That was not an isolated case as something very similar happened several years ago.

I think I mentioned somewhere in another thread, the 3-core mains lead on my Philips TVette gave off an awful smell. That was chucked out and a new lead fitted. I remember back in the early 1970s we had some Christmas tree lights that had a similar pong coming from the wiring. Perhaps the outgassing becomes worse with age on some cables. There was an elastic band around the TVette's lead which had perished and the goo was stuck to the cable.

So it seems concerning the possible interactions between PVC and paints, polystyrene etc.
That's sensible advice to store the PVC lead in a polythene bag to avoid any trouble. Would it be advisable if the bag was vented or completely sealed. In the latter case any outgassing will build up within the bag which might be a problem. Any views on this?

Regards,
Symon

Last edited by Philips210; 23rd May 2019 at 10:53 pm. Reason: typo
Old 24th May 2019, 10:02 am   #22
PJL
Dekatron

I wasn't expecting any response to this but it is interesting to see so many have experienced the same little known problem.

Here we are rewiring our vintage radio with PVC covered wire and cursing the rubber wire that has only lasted 70 years!
Old 31st May 2019, 8:06 pm   #23
defender
Pentode

I had some of that sort of padded rubbery mesh stuff that was sold as non slip so I put some on top of my big crt tv (32" widescreen Panasonic) and put stuff on top months later I took it off to find mesh pattern melted into the top of the tv
Old 31st May 2019, 10:27 pm   #24
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I've also found the 'rubber' feet on some equipment can leave a residue on the item stacked underneath. I have found card/cardboard is good when stacking stored equipment. I use old unfolded Shredded Wheat/Cornflakes boxes for placing between appliances and have so far not had any problems.

Regards,
Symon
Old 4th Jun 2019, 7:21 am   #25
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post

Depends on the plastic. PVC is not good... For cables etc it has a plasticiser added, as others have said, otherwise it would be rigid (like uPVC window frames). But the plasticiser leaches out and attacks things.
All except very recent plasticised PVC used DEHP (bis(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate) as a plasticiser. This is known to adversely effect male fertility, and is classified as a reproductive toxicant and listed as an endocrine disrupting chemical (EDC). In February 2015, DEHP was banned from general use under EU law. The problem is when the plasticiser leaches into the environment. It's a particular problem when used in baby's bottles and dummies.

Peter
Old 20th Jun 2019, 11:15 pm   #26
Otari5050
Pentode

I have encountered plenty of appliances and electronic items with black plastic cases where the mains cord has been wrapped around them (for storage) and upon removal the plastic casing has 'melt' marks in it where the cord has been resting against it.
These marks are similar to the sort of thing you'd see if someone had carefully rested a soldering iron on the plastic for a few second.
Not deep, but significant enough to destroy the surface.
Old 21st Jun 2019, 8:00 am   #27
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
It's all these tales of plastics deteriorating and reacting with other things and other plastics which always come to mind when folk claim that 'plastic film capacitors will last for ever'. We just don't know!

Andy
Like CDs you mean..."ever" has been misappropriated!
Old 21st Jun 2019, 9:04 am   #28
The Philpott
Dekatron

Yes. CD's and DVD's, apparently, can be given the Van Helsing treatment by being left in strong sunlight. Today seems like a good day to experiment- just need to find one that I don't like.

I certainly wasn't aware of the DEHP issue. Plastic that attacks its creator. It's darkly ironic that a reduction in male fertility might actually extend the useful life of the planet.

Dave
Old 27th Jun 2019, 10:44 pm   #29
McMurdo
Dekatron

I had an annoying effect the other day. couple of years ago, inspired by Panrock's lacquering of a TV, I refinished a 30's radio in aerosol clear lacquer. I printed the circuit diagram out on 2 sheets of A4 and stuck them together with sellotape. The diagram has since lived, folded in half, on top of the radio in my bedroom. You know what's coming..the other day i moved the diagram and the sellotape (not the sticky side!) had dissolved a stripe all along the top of my gleaming walnut cabinet. I suppose it adds an authentic patina