UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2013, 7:45 am   #1
stitch1
Heptode

Default Smith Electric Clock

I have an Ekco A244 with integrated clock.

The radio was a simple restore but the clock is dead.

Measuring across the coil I get approx. 12.5kOhms.There's not a lot of info on the web but there is a guy who 'makes safe' by rewinding to run at13V. His page shows the original DC resistance to be 5.8K so perhaps this one has gone high.I removed the coil and insulating tape and disconnected and re soldered the outer wire but this has no difference.

Does anyone have experience of these clocks?

Stitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	81173   Click image for larger version

Name:	file-1.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	81174  
Old 24th Jun 2013, 7:56 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Smith Electric Clock

The same clock mechanism also appears in the HMV1127 clock radio, though with a gold bezel.

David
Old 24th Jun 2013, 9:08 am   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It's unlikely that the stator winding has gone high. The problem is much more likely to be a mechanical one; dried up lubricant from years of non-servicing!

You can easily check if the stator is producing a magnetic field if a screwdriver held near with the current on gives a buzz. That will exonerate the winding.

Try spinning the rotor to see if it moves easily; if not the movement really needs a complete strip and clean followed by lubrication using the proper oil and grease.
Old 24th Jun 2013, 2:26 pm   #4
stitch1
Heptode

Hi Mike,

Yes that's what I thought/hoped but the rotor does run freely, or at least I thought it did.
I can turn it no problem but it doesn't continue to spin so so I've ran some light oil in and after a few spins its now running but needs a manual spin to get it going. The rest of the clock movement is very clean so hopefully just need oiling.

I'd like to clean it properly, is the movement going to be difficult to dismantle?

John
Old 24th Jun 2013, 7:30 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi John,

There's a remote chance the rotor has lost its magnetism but I'd still be inclined to clean it first.

Not easy to say how difficult when I've been doing these things for decades, but plenty of photos and scribbled notes are the way forward. They're easier to assemble than a mechanically wound clock.
Old 24th Jun 2013, 8:13 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...and loads of digital photos too.

I think they're easy to work on if you're mechanically-minded, methodical, neat and tidy, and have reasonable eyesight. You need a tray to work on (to stop bits rolling away, never to be seen again) and good lighting.

BTW is this really a Smiths? It doesn't look quite like any I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot!).

Nick.
Old 24th Jun 2013, 8:38 pm   #7
stitch1
Heptode

Hi Mike,
The oil did the trick and it's now running freely so I've resembled and its going OK and even self starts when the power is applied.

As you can see it is in excellent clean condition and will only be powered up occasionally so as I fear I'd do more harm than good trying to strip it at the moment.

Good point Nick I had to check again to see why I thought it was a Smiths and it was from the service manual. on closer inspection I found Smiths English Clocks London stamped on the metal plate, you can just see it on the right next to the black wires.

Thanks

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1147.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	81187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1149.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	81188