UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2013, 2:57 pm   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Metrovick Cosmos

I bought this electric fire a short while ago at my autumn/winter car boot. It was made around 1928, note the porcelain connection box with separate holes for line and phase and no proper earthing facility. I paid around £18 for it. Surprisingly, the seller told me that it still worked.....um!
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire1.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	80327   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire2.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	80328  
Old 30th May 2013, 4:06 pm   #2

Default Re: Metrovick Cosmos

Does it still work? I bet that cost a lot to run in 1928.

Old 30th May 2013, 4:08 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Could this be another offering from the Metropolitan-Vickers-Electrical company who made the Cosmos Radiophones "Crystal sets" ?
John.
Old 30th May 2013, 4:23 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Could this be another offering from the Metropolitan-Vickers-Electrical company who made the Cosmos Radiophones "Crystal sets" ? John.
Almost certainly!

MetroVick also sold valves under the "Cosmos" brand - indeed it was E. Yeoman Robinson of MetroVick who in the mid-1920s developed the "slip coated" heater which made indirectly-heated valves a practical possibility.
Old 30th May 2013, 4:27 pm   #5
newlite4
Octode

One of the two elements is open circuit and is difficult to remove. The element connectors are very tight having been heat treated over time. I would need some 10 amp, three-core twisted fabric covered cable to connect via the porcelain box, this is harder to obtain than the 3 amp twisted cable. At the moment it is display only.
Metropolitan Vickers was a huge concern in the first half of the 20th century, the Trafford Park factory was one of the biggest plants in the world. Cosmos was a Metrovick brand name covering many product lines. Ultimately, after several takeovers, what was once Metrovick became absorbed into BAE Systems.
Neil
Old 30th May 2013, 8:13 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Metrovick Cosmos

Hi,
I think they used three core fabric covered twisted cable for theatre lighting, if they weren't using black TRS cable. I used to have a length at one time. It had heat resistant rubber(?) insulation and was rated for the full 3Kw. Try a theatre supplier.
Cheers, Pete
Old 1st Jun 2013, 11:27 am   #7
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Neil, a nice museum piece.

When I saw your second photo, I assumed if the earth was a modification by a previous owner.

Also wondered if the other connections originally had the fishbone (ceramic) insulators.

Regards - Mike
Old 1st Jun 2013, 3:22 pm   #8
robin0577
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Hi,
I think they used three core fabric covered twisted cable for theatre lighting, if they weren't using black TRS cable. I used to have a length at one time. It had heat resistant rubber(?) insulation and was rated for the full 3Kw. Try a theatre supplier.
Cheers, Pete
Indeed they did use twisted fabric covered cable for theatre lighting, but not for about 35+ years, so finding any in a usable condition might be hard work. Also worth noting that some of the earlier versions contained asbestos fibres in the fabric to aid the heat resistance.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 11:24 pm   #9
Brigham
Octode

I have a single-bar version which still works fine. I had no idea it was by MetroVick.

Does yours have a wooden knob to tilt the grille when making toast?
Old 4th Jun 2013, 2:29 pm   #10
newlite4
Octode

Yes Brigham you can just see the ebony knob to the left in the second image. Mike, the fishbone insulators run from the element wiring to the switch and neutral post. Thanks Pete, I will keep an eye out for some rubber single core cable and see if i can plait it somehow.
Neil