UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2013, 11:09 pm   #1
Redders03
Pentode

Question Leitch Wall Clock

Hi all, recently discovered the existence of the Leitch Analogue wall clocks with backlight which would be a really useful feature because I regularly work in a darkened room when video editing and this would be a nice addition,I have seen this type before in radio and TV stations but didn't have a name to associate with this type of clock.

My question is, is it worth in getting one of these clocks and what kind of price should I be looking at when trying to obtain one. I wouldn't need a size bigger than 292mm and backlight would be a great function. I know they were used at the BBC a lot and as there are a high proportion of BBC associated individuals on the site I thought someone might know

If this is deemed to be in the wrong location Mods please move to appropriate location!

Thanks in advance
Alex
Old 8th May 2013, 11:50 am   #2
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Re: Leitch Wall Clock

Gents also supplied clocks for use in 'broadcast', environments. Many of the Leitch and some of the Gents were PPM matching i.e. they had black fackes with the numerals and hands white/lit; however standard translucent white faces with black numerals and red seconds hand are also seen. These are normally 'pulse' clocks which receive a pulse from a centralised 'master' clock. If it is just the face & illumination you require you can buy one and swap the internals for a readily available quartz movement. I must confess I don't like swapping internals of clocks and prefer to keep them original if poss, especially if mechanical or mains synchronous, but I don't think the later pulse clocks were particularly collectable or interesting and the convenience of the quartz movement probably outweighs other considerations.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:17 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Leitch Wall Clock

Unfotunately, "Leitch analogue clock" covers a very wide range of permutations, options and sizes... Some later (mid-eighties on) are quite sophisticated, offering pulse or SMPTE/EBU time-code locking with crystal and button-cell back-up in the event of locking/supply failure- obviously, the stepper motor-driven hands stay stationary in the event of mains failure although internal timekeeping stays. You could even get options for one, two or three stepper motors driving H,M,S depending how patient you felt you could be on re-set... Unfortunately, the EL strip that wraps round the edge of the face for illumination is not long-lived, you might have difficulty tracking down replacements now and they were never cheap. Easy to change, though, ISTR they run from a 100V-ish HF AC from a DC inverter block. Or, (as I have done) use circumferential white wide-angle LED's as a reasonable substitute.

Broadcasters have gone/are going towards "soft" clocks as part of multi-view flat-panels, so you may be able to find Leitch clocks from surplus sources.
Old 10th May 2013, 10:03 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Leitch Wall Clock

Hi,
Years ago I remember seeing "studio style" wall clocks with a neon tube around the edge for sale in places like Asda, Tesco, Maplin's, etc. They had the usual battery quartz motor but a mains-inverter driven tube. They weren't expensive as I recall.
Cheers, Pete