UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jan 2013, 4:22 pm   #1
Ken
Hexode

Default Metamec Clock

Hello All

I have been inspired by another thread on Smiths clocks to try to find out a bit more about my only mains electric clock. It is made by Metamec.

The back is marked with SS 101. I have tried searching on this but without much luck. I think it might be a mechanism rather than a model number but I really don't know. There is a picture on this site http://www.clock-museum.co.uk/20c/s~1528.htm which I think is close to what it looks like. If this is correct it would be model 815.

Again I have tried searching on this but to no avail. I have attached two images in the hope some one here can identify it. I would appreciate any information on this clock that anybody could provide. I bought the clock at a boot sale for £3 because I felt sorry for it. I did not work but the coil was not o/c.
I partly dismantled, cleaned and lubricated it and this was enough to get it working. However I did not appreciate that the type of lubricant was important so I used 3 in 1 oil. It has run more than a year and is very quiet but I thought I might dismantle, clean and re-lubricate it properly. If anybody is aware of a similar set of instructions to that for the Goblin clocks for these clocks I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction to find them.

Regards,

Ken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClockFront.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	75190   Click image for larger version

Name:	ClockBack.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	75191  
Old 20th Jan 2013, 4:39 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Metamec Clock

The type of lubricant is indeed important, but 3-in-1 is miles better than nothing or something ancient and gummed-up.

If it were mine, I think I'd leave it for now. When it becomes sluggish to start, then do a proper strip-down and relubricate.

N.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 8:02 pm   #3
Ken
Hexode

Hello Nick

Thanks for your reply. I'll take your advice and leave well alone for now. I'd still be interested to find out a bit more about the clock.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 9:27 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Barrie, of the online Clock Museum you mention, has always been friendly and helpful when I've e-mailed him.

Nick.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 10:16 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

There's an allegedly very good book on Metamec by Clifford Bird. Scroll a little way down here, for example. I said "allegedly" because I'm only going on reviews and don't have a copy myself.

The 815 is probably from the early 1960s. Its style suggests that and the pressed aluminium dial became popular at that time. This model came in synchronous form, obviously, and latter appeared with a battery operated moving magnet movement. It's likely there was also a mechanical version. Metamec tended to use the same model number regardless of movement type, at least until later years. Their very first clock, the 701, came in synchronous and mechanical forms and the use of the same model number is often the cause of confusion.

"SS 101" is probably the part number of the module (or mould number). The number appeared on numerous clocks using that type of module, synchronous or mechanical. Bakelite (for the module) was superceded by another type of plastic during the 1960s, usually a cream colour.

Not being a huge fan of Metamec clocks that's about all I can say I'm afraid.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 11:16 pm   #6
Ken
Hexode

Nick

I have tried some more searching but I can't find much. Interestingly I found a picture of the same clock with what might be a modern quartz movement. It reminded me of what you said on the Smiths clock thread.

Darren

Thanks for all the information and the link to the book. Just read a review of it on a well known book site. Gives it a great review but says that few were printed. I'll try my local library and see if they can get a copy. I am sure you are right about the date. It just looks the part for early 60's.

Thanks again,

Ken.
Old 20th Jan 2013, 11:30 pm   #7
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Try The Antiquarian Horological Society.

I purchased a copy from them about a year ago, and it is still listed on their website.

ALAN
Old 20th Jan 2013, 11:58 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Interestingly I found a picture of the same clock with what might be a modern quartz movement.
Most likely one which has had its original movement replaced, possibly because of failure or because someone thought a modern quartz movement would make the clock more desirable. Some people get strange ideas like that.

Metamec did produce their own quartz movement, a relatively bulky effort measuring approximately 3" x 2" x 1", but later abandoned it for bought-in movements. The modern quartz movements, those horrid little 2" x 2" things using an AA cell, didn't come in until much later and are totally the wrong period for your clock.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 1:38 am   #9
Ken
Hexode

Quote:
Metamec did produce their own quartz movement, a relatively bulky effort measuring approximately 3" x 2" x 1"
Here is a link to the picture http://www.masterclock.co.uk/2009/08...ollection.html Does this look original? The caption seems to suggest it is. If so were both mains and battery versions of the clock made simultaneously? The body of this clock looks like mine though the wood looks darker. I suppose darkening of the wood could be caused by polishing or refurbishment.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 11:41 am   #10
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes that looks original but don't be confused by 'battery' movements. That shown is an electro-mechanical moving-magnet movement, not a quartz movement. The former are more or less a conventional clock movement, driven by a coil and magnets rather than a spring.

Battery operated electro-mechanical movements were contemporary with your mains-powered clock, quartz movements didn't become common in the UK until the early 1970s.

For your interest, there were also 'motor rewind' movements. These had an conventional style of mechanical movement which was rewound by a small motor at intervals. I have some here and they're fascinating little things. There were also 'kick rewind' movements, wherein rewinding was achieved by the kick of a solenoid. Neither type were common in Metamec clocks.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 12:08 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Having said that, the only Metamec clock I've ever owned, which looked a bit like yours but with a wooden plinth, did have a kick-rewind movement (loud clunk every 5 minutes or so), but I seem to remember that the movement itself had German branding on it, possibly Kienzle. It was powered by an HP11 (C) cell.

Nick.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 1:54 pm   #12
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I collect clocks, not the electric ones, normally its just the windup Westminster chime ones, as I can place them without worrying about power.
I don't have as many as I did, down to about ten.
I do have one electric clock, never tried it, not my thing, as they are pretty common.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139a.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	75239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0140.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	75240  
Old 21st Jan 2013, 1:59 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's the Smiths "Bijou" movement, produced just pre-war to end of the 1950s I think.

Replace the wire and try it. Once you've experienced the incredibly accurate timekeeping, you may well be hooked!

Yes, they're common, but rarely seen in-use these days.

Nick.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 2:08 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Having said that, the only Metamec clock I've ever owned, which looked a bit like yours but with a wooden plinth, did have a kick-rewind movement (loud clunk every 5 minutes or so), but I seem to remember that the movement itself had German branding on it, possibly Kienzle. It was powered by an HP11 (C) cell.Nick.
The Kienzle kick-rewind mechanism was also used in some 12V car clocks of the 1960s/1970s.

When a Kienzle clock was factory-fitted to the dashboard alongside the traditional circular Smiths speedo/revcounter/oil/water/fuel/amps/volts gauge-set it always seemed distinctly out-of-place and very much not the sort of visual incongruity one should expect to experience in one's Daimler or Bristol.

-G6Tanuki
Old 21st Jan 2013, 4:04 pm   #15
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a kick wind 12 volt elapsed time indicator.
It will have to wait for a picture as it is in a crate at the bottom of a stack.
It is branded "Smiths".
Old 21st Jan 2013, 5:38 pm   #16
Ken
Hexode

Hello All

Thanks for all the replies. I have found out more about clocks in the last few days than I ever thought I would know. I may have another clock to fix. My father, who is 95, tells me he has a mains clock marked as Metamec but it is not working.
Have no idea how old it is or what condition it is in.
I will see him on Wednesday so I will pick it up then and post some pictures.

ALANS ANITAS,

I'm sorry I missed your post. If you have a copy of the book could I ask you to have a look to see if my clock appears in it?

Thanks again,

Ken.
Old 21st Jan 2013, 6:09 pm   #17

Quote:
Once you've experienced the incredibly accurate timekeeping,
Yes modern 'mains' is very good for accuracy over the day, not so good for minute to minute precision, my mains derived Nixie clock is +/- 30 seconds or so during the day. I only set it twice a year for BST/GMT I must put an adder in the circuitry (it's all done with CMOS logic) I may get 25 hours at midnight though, it won't matter I will be asleep by then anyway.

Old 21st Jan 2013, 9:43 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good point, but with an analogue display and resolution of 15 seconds at best (unless a seconds hand is fitted), short-term accuracy isn't important, luckily.

Nick.
Old 29th Apr 2013, 8:24 am   #19
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren-UK View Post
It's likely there was also a mechanical version.
I'm a bit behind the times with this thread ( pun intended! ) but I can confirm that there is a mechanical version of this clock having paid the princely sum of one pound for one yesterday ( Sunday ).

Regards, Lee.
Closed Thread