UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2012, 12:03 am   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Eagle PSU conversion

I'll put this here (rather than in Test equipment or Home brew) both of which could apply, since it was a success.

Nothing very special, but a pleasant hour or so whiled away messing with a gash PSU from a freebie rummage bag picked up at the end of the last Harpenden auction.

The label said 9V 500mA, but a quick check showed about 13.5V off load, 8.5V on load, so it clearly wasn't anything special. In fact it was just transformer, fullwave rectifier and 1000uF 10V(!) capacitor. Plus a few bits showing its age- a proper mains on/off switch and a neon power indicator (seriously blackened bulb there). Output was from a pair of reasonable 4mm plug/binding post connectors.

The ac across the full secondary was about 19V, which triggered an idea- what about a PSU to run the shed Hacker, rather than the tiring restuffed 18V (now 12v) "PP9" in there at the moment?

Anyway, the Hacker still sounded fine at 12V, and a quick rummage turned up a LM340T15 (7815 clone), a NOS 2A RS bridge, a 2200uF 35V capacitor and a couple of 1uF 63V polyesters, so a 15V regulated supply was on the stocks.

The bridge (a wire ended one with AC and DC conveniently on opposite sides) fitted neatly onto the TX secondary tags, the 2200uF hung tidily between the bridge DC wires and there was even a spare 3mm hole in the bottom of the case to screw the regulator down. Some minor origami with BTC and silicon rubber sleeving followed and the result was 15.05V, rock steady up to 150mA (100R test resistor). It should be OK up to about 200mA with the unheatsunk 7815.

Tried on the Hacker- slightly more volume than the tired old battery (no surprise there) and no audible trace of hum. Job's a good'un.

I have a couple of the strangest looking silicon diodes I've ever seen left over- the package is a sort of black plastic pill about 8mm diameter by 3mm thick with an insulated wire coming out from each side, the cathode wire having a faint red marking a few mm from the pill. No other markings of any kind visible.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th May 2012, 2:09 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Eagle PSU conversion

This is what I've done with my VHF Herald but, (look away now those of a sensitive nature) it is built in internally for household use. It was a boot-sale find with a damaged rear grille and truncated aerial.
Closed Thread