UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2019, 4:54 pm   #21
avocollector
Heptode

Default Re: What components do you keep in stock for repairs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
About the same as what you have + 3 sheds full of crap/useful stuff. I hate throwing stuff away and being skint most of my life save stuff just in case, trying to keep tabs on it all, keep it tidy is wearing. I re-use wire cut from old gear even save 3" bits and have even caught myself going through my own bins which is just madness.

Andy.
My solution to the continual 'where is it' question was to assign every shelf, box, tin, and container a unique number - then list a) precisely where that container is b) what is in it on computer. Of course you have to remember to put things back in the same container but it works surprisingly well.
Old 21st May 2019, 9:16 pm   #22
Sideband
Dekatron

Like many others, I've accumulated lots of components over the years and I tend to keep common items like capacitors and resistors in reasonable order. I have about 300 valves as well that I've recently sorted...I really need to decide what I need to keep and what to offer to others.....
Old 22nd May 2019, 4:46 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
My solution to the continual 'where is it' question was to assign every shelf, box, tin, and container a unique number - then list a) precisely where that container is b) what is in it on computer.
For me, more and more the answer to "Where is it?" resolves to 'Somewhere in the RS/CPC/Mouser/DigiKey/Aspen-Electronics Warehouse', and so after drawing up a list of the needed where-isits I click on 'pay' and the where-isits are delivered into my expectant hands the next morning!

Though I'm finding it harder and harder to source trustworthy RF-components [BLY- and early MRF-series power-transistors for example, and proper power-rated Ferrite cores] these days. Traceability-to-source seems to have become fragile - forgeries and 'second-sources-of-unknown-provenance' abound.

Who'd have imagined anyone would ever have felt the need to forge humble BFY51 transistors?
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:02 am   #24
MrBungle
Dekatron

RF power transistors are dead and gone now I find hence why I've moved to using switching FETs in anything I design. Cheap and less likely to be forged. I've got 50W out of a couple of IRF510's running at 28V.

RS sell Fair-rite cores so no problems there. And they're a lot cheaper than the usual sources for Amidion labelled parts. FT37-43 .. .25 for £3 approx on RS.

Rapid sell BFY51 new from CDIL for 47p a pop min quantity 5. The CDIL parts are all pretty good I find.
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:46 pm   #25
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Post Re: What components do you keep in stock for repairs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
I hate throwing stuff away and being skint most of my life save stuff just in case, trying to keep tabs on it all, keep it tidy is wearing. I re-use wire cut from old gear even save 3" bits and have even caught myself going through my own bins which is just madness.

Andy.
Ditto: in almost every regard. I wouldn't agree about the 'madness' bit: we all make mistakes now and again. ("I wish I hadn't thrown that away!" )

The more space you have, the more you accumulate: Nature abhors a vacuum.

The key to collecting / hoarding loads of stuff is knowing where to find it when you want it. And that requires organization of storage: Raaco, cardboard and plastic boxes, biscuit tins - all manner of containers. And shelves and racking, of course. All my containers are clearly labelled as to their contents. For mains transformers, (total over 100) each one has its own catalogue number. They are listed on an Excel spreadsheet with essential data for each. That enables me to find what I want quickly. Ditto with valves, grouped together in boxes according to type: again, a spreadsheet.
Of course, such a system requires self-discipline and management - but in the long term, it saves a great deal of time and frustration.

Al.
Closed Thread