UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2019, 3:36 pm   #1
CHRIS_F
Tetrode

Default Auto stop (Hitachi TRK 3D30)

Hi Guys,

Quick Question should the Hitach TRK 3D30 have Auto Stop when rewinding and FF?

I’m happy that my Boom Box is working and sounding really nice, and the decks seem to be a quite decent quality but they don’t auto stop when they rew/ff the tape does click off when it plays to the end but not on rew/ff it seems the clutch thing is supposed to just slip, not really sure as I’m a total noob to tape mech repair/repairs in general.

Regards,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03C3ECF1-5206-4843-BE11-D30D319B4E6F.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	190602  
Old 21st Sep 2019, 4:31 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Auto stop (Hitachi TRK 3D30)

I don't know that unit, but a lot of cassette recorders had a mechanical autostop sensor that worked by detecting the tape tension near the head (basically the tape straightened under tension, operated a lever which engaged a trip mechanism with a cam on the capstan flywheel).

This type would only work when the heads were moved into the cassette, that is in record/play mode.

So if your machine works like that it's working correctly.
Closed Thread