UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2019, 5:08 pm   #1
Vectamart
Pentode

Default Panasonic NV-HV60 VCR

I bought this machine new about 15 years ago and had been using it on a regular basis until one day, it went dead with a cassette stuck in it.

This afternoon, I decided to take a look at it; alas, it was not going to be straightforward as I do not have a service manual for this model. I spotted a 1000mfd/10-volt capacitor in the power supply that had a distinct bulge in its can so decided to replace it. I then discovered that in order to remove the printed circuit board, I first needed to remove the stuck cassette as two of the screws securing the board were beneath the deck.

Anyway, I replaced the offending capacitor but the machine is still dead. The display is not illuminated and there is no response from any of the controls.

So - is there anyone out there who can offer any suggestions? Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 25th Aug 2019, 2:23 am   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-HV60 VCR

Did you look for blown fuses in the PSU? Do you have an ESR meter to measure the caps?
Old 25th Aug 2019, 9:17 am   #3
Vectamart
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
Did you look for blown fuses in the PSU? Do you have an ESR meter to measure the caps?
The mains fuse is intact. Power is getting as far as the 33mfd smoothing capacitor, which has tested ok. The fault appears to be somewhere in the SMPS. However, as I do not have a circuit diagram I am now a bit stuck. I was hoping that someone may have some experience of this model and its stock faults.
Old 25th Aug 2019, 9:56 am   #4
vhs doctor
Pentode

Hi

Check this

https://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_n.../download.html
Old 25th Aug 2019, 1:03 pm   #5
jjl
Octode

A possibility would be an open circuit startup resistor. This is a very common fault with switch mode power supplies in all sorts of equipment. There is a thread that mentions this problem in a Panasonic VCR here

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=158211

John
Old 25th Aug 2019, 7:35 pm   #6
gallowfields
Hexode

hi, most panasonic vcr,s have a 1uf 63v in the primary of the smps which dries up we used to replace these with 1uf 100v 105degree types
Old 25th Aug 2019, 7:52 pm   #7
Red to black
Nonode

Check R1150 and R1154 both 1 meg resistors, these are the two start up resistors for this machine, one or other usually goes either O/C or high resistance.