UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2015, 11:26 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default The Simpson Ferrograph R4

Today's posting about a Mk2 reminds me of this program [broadcast 21/2/15] which should be appreciated by contributors to other threads about "found Sound". It 's the story of a Charity Shop Model D complete with tapes and details of previous owners. It will be on the I-Player for another couple of weeks. Appropriately it's from the "Between The Ears" series and their website has interesting photos of the machine, the handbook etc.
Dave W
Old 5th Mar 2015, 11:33 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: The Simpson Ferrograph R4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b052zn08
Old 6th Mar 2015, 8:21 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave.

I "listened again" in bed last night, and found it fascinating, and was pleasantly surprised that they managed to track down so many of the people on the tapes; it was fortunate that they were so young when they participated.

Interesting that the studio owner said he bought the machine there-and-then from the charity shop because it was priced at "only £100". So watch out for knackered 1960s R2Rs with cheapo TD2 transports appearing on eBay with similar price tags!

Also intriguing that the chap had integrated it into his studio to add the all-important "valve sound" to recordings. No mention of it being serviced or woken-up gradually. And judging by the recordings it was producing, something was not quite right with it (even if it was only operator having the record levels set far too high); the ones it produced 50 years ago sounded far better to my ears.

Nick.
Old 6th Mar 2015, 8:47 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes I noticed he was transferring sound sources to tape via the mike for the added "ambience". It's all a bit ironic as direct recording was the sophisticated approach in those days [50's and 60's] as most people didn't realise there was an alternative to the mike when, say, recording from the radio. It captures how fascinated we were with just being able to record with the excitement when the level peaks in response to the voice. I noticed the owner saying "and it was only a hundred pounds". You can tell it's "that London" as we say in the north. My forum mate Peter [Reel Guy] here in Bexhill is going to archive the program on tape as a tribute perhaps!
Dave W

I get the Wire Magazine fairly regularly in which all the modern "turntablists" and "Sound Sculptors" re-discover Ring Modulators and the experimental techniques that we all messed about with back then without envisaging them as a credible future career path. It doesn't mean I'm sceptical though, I listen to a lot of this stuff eg God Speed You Black Emporer-just a little amused! I once went to an early Media Studies course open day where we were invited to edit with a guide block. They were a bit amazed when I said I could do it freehand with scissors [never having had access to professional aids].

Last edited by dave walsh; 6th Mar 2015 at 9:06 pm.
Old 6th Mar 2015, 8:49 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I missed the use of the mike bit (it was past my bedtime!).

Forgot to say it was interesting for me too because I grew up only a couple of miles from where the machine's owners lived.
Closed Thread