UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2015, 7:46 am   #1
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

Default Pat Hawker's Archives to be auctioned

I came across this notice of a sale at Chiswich Auctions on 18th March to include

LOT 185 “Science - Pat Hawker: papers of a telecommunications legend, 1936 to 2008. Archive of papers, 1936-2008 largely disordered, contained in seven 46 x 30.5 x 30.5 cm cardboard boxes. In good overall condition, with occasional signs of aging and wear. Included in the collection are diaries, journals and notebooks, and drafts and typescripts of articles by Pat Hawker, a large amount of correspondence from a range of individuals, with some copies of Hawker's replies; conference papers, technical manuals, offprints, brochures, press releases and other material from a number of sources, together with photocopies by Hawker of a large number of articles and papers. Hawker was one of the legends of amateur radio, but it is claimed that he 'literally helped shape the world we live in today'. [His] 'service to his country, the radio and television industry and to amateur radio may never be equalled'. During WWII he was a leading figure at Bletchley Park, and afterwards played a leading role in the development of both radio and television. This archive will provide a considerable amount of doubtless new information on these technical developments over more than half a century.”

This is the auctioneers description of the archives not mine! But few would doubt he was a legend

Be nice if this ended up at Bletchley Park.
Regards
Chris G0EYO
Old 1st Mar 2015, 9:05 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Pat Hawker's Archives to be auctioned

Pat Hawker published an awful lot. I would expect that most material of technical interest will have appeared in Tech Topics over the decades.

Once various things became public knowledge, he wrote of being part of SOE and their running of spies and saboteurs behind enemy lines. The "leading figure at Bletchley Park" bit surprised me, I thought he was deeply involved on other things. I was in a group of radio amateurs given a more detailed than usual tour round BP a couple of years ago. The guides/presenters were also radio amateurs and there was no mention of Pat. Maybe there's a lot I don't know, or maybe the auctioneers have confused SOE with BP?

I'd think the RSGB ought to be interested in this archive, it will certainly have strong connections with their past.

The RSGB carried out occasional surveys of members interests and what they wanted to see more of/less of in Radcom. I remember the results always ranked Tech Topics as the most interesting content, and that which was read first.

I heard a tale that after Pat had made one of his infrequent visits to Potters Bar, a young lass working there asked someone who'd been there longer 'Who that smelly old man was'. She was told in no uncertain terms that without what that man did, the RSGB would be out of business.

I wonder just whoo would be interested in buying that archive?

David
Old 1st Mar 2015, 11:32 am   #3
Nicklyons2
Octode

A man's life's work in 7 cardboard boxes; that must give us all cause for contemplation.

Personally I feel he was such a distinguished figure and his coverage in the radio/TV/electronics world so broad it would be a shame to break it up. To me the BVWS or RSGB would seem to be amongst the best recipients; any other ideas?
Old 1st Mar 2015, 2:07 pm   #4
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

The cynic in me asks if these papers have already been picked through. The more interesting items having been removed.

I'd be bidding if I could be sure not to escalate the price for other institutions with legitimate interest in the collection.
Old 1st Mar 2015, 2:28 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Other than to preserve them intact, it's difficult to see to what useful purpose they could be put. As has been said, Pat's written output was prodigious, much of which was published over several decades in the long running 'Technical Topics' column, which was collated into several books, still available. Until last year, when I disposed of them on the forum, I had the full set and during the many years in which I was interested and active in amateur radio, never tired of thumbing through them for ideas and inspiration.

As to the Archive, difficult to foretell what it will realise at auction, and who - other than Bletchley or RSGB - might be interested in acquiring the papers. Interesting though the might be, I can't imagine that there will be any startling revelations among the papers, which is not already in the public domain.

A biography of Pat's life, published 2008 in paperback, is still available from several sources including Amazon, written by Steve White, G3ZVW: “A Bit of Controversy: Pat Hawker - a Radio Life”.

A write-up states as follows:

"A Bit of Controversy details the extraordinary radio life of Pat Hawker, MBE G3VA. From a very early age though to his eighties, Pat has been involved in many aspects of radio, from WW2 with the Britain's military intelligence organisations through to time working for the RSGB, the IBA and as the editor of Electronics Weekly and the Royal Television Society Journal. Pat Hawker has without doubt led an extraordinary life and this book details it. If you were a fan of Pat's long running column or just interested in the activity of the security services in WW2 this book is a fascinating insight".

End quote.

Paperback – 1 Mar 2008, author: Steve White, G3ZVW.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bit-Controve.../dp/1905086407
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 8:08 pm   #6
Chris G0EYO
Pentode

I have just seen a message from Graham Murchie, G4FSG, Chairman of the RSGB board that they intend to go and have a look at this auction lot and then decide how to proceed.
Regards
Chris G0EYO
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 8:16 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

That could be a good outcome re the obvious link. It can't be assumed that the boxes have already been filleted or that the contents don't need to be preserved because they may have been published anyway. We wouldn't apply that thinking to other authors, many of whose diaries/drafts go into University collections.
Dave W
Old 2nd Mar 2015, 9:59 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Having a look first seems to be a sensible approach.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 12:45 am   #9
Pamphonica
Nonode

A lot of Pat Hawker stuff has already been sold. There was a stall at the last two Kempton Park rallies full of photos, manuals and other papers from his estate. I bought some original photos for a friend interested in broadcast TV.
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 1:43 am   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks Jeremy-so I probably stand corrected but not entirely surprised! On the other hand we don't know what circumstances may have prevailed
Who knows what may be valued or reconstituted in the future? Probaly very little
Dave W
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 9:37 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

Pat never gave the impression of someone who would throw much away, and 7 boxes did seem rather small considering his throughput.

The collected tech topics books are a great way to lose a week or two, though all the stimulation does mean you need to consider proper cooling for your brain.

I have a few decades of Radcoms in the attic right up to when I resigned in disgust at the outbreak of politics a few years ago. I keep intending going through them and either scanning or cutting out the good bits, but I found that the bits I considered good were mostly tech topics, and buying the CDROM collection saved me a lot of work.

But let's not just think of what Pat did, think also of what he stirred others to do, and what those he got interested went on to do. That is an amazing amount of influence.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 5:47 pm   #12

Devils advocate mode... It's the information that matters, chuck the lot thorough a sheet feed scanner and pop it on the web. Leave the auction to collectors.

DV mode off... I do hope the buyer lets someone scan it all (or does it themselves).

Old 4th Mar 2015, 12:19 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

If it's stuff that's been commissioned by, and published in, other technical journals or publications then the owners of the resultant copyright may have things to say about scanning and releasing this info to the Web.
Closed Thread