UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2015, 1:47 pm   #21
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Photos of old radios in abandoned house.

Love this thread and Thank You to our moderators for letting it drift a bit ot.
Old 13th Feb 2015, 2:39 pm   #22
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Other assorted Welsh ruins -

http://www.welshruins.co.uk/ceredigi...er-welsh-ruins

Michael

Last edited by yesnaby; 13th Feb 2015 at 3:00 pm.
Old 13th Feb 2015, 3:11 pm   #23
greenstar
Octode

I would guess that was a dry house and watertightish. Without heat and closed up in the Welsh weather for 30 yrs or more, it's not surprising it's damp. Would make a lovely home - look at the outhouses behind!
Old 13th Feb 2015, 7:28 pm   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Looking through all those ruins it is sad that they are not sold off and many I am sure could make good homes again.

What makes folk just leave them I wonder?
Old 13th Feb 2015, 7:33 pm   #25
yesnaby
Octode

Hi,

I looked through the ruins and was sure I had spotted an abandoned TV. Yet I've now looked again twice and can't find it! Yes, very sad, I didn't realise there were so many derelict/just abandoned places. Some could indeed be made nice again. I wonder if Wales has more than it's fair share?

Michael

PS Found it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7784_7641908854db7cba7e98b2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	104100  

Last edited by yesnaby; 13th Feb 2015 at 7:40 pm. Reason: -
Old 13th Feb 2015, 7:41 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

There used to be a lot down here (Cornwall) mostly owned by the local Lordy and tended to be flogged off on an as and when basis, in other words a lot of these old houses were occupied by paying tenants not owner occupied, I remember looking at several when looking for somewhere to live, some were crammed full of stuff including old radios, domestic appliances etc.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 13th Feb 2015 at 7:42 pm. Reason: omission
Old 13th Feb 2015, 7:49 pm   #27
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Looking through all those ruins it is sad that they are not sold off and many I am sure could make good homes again.

What makes folk just leave them I wonder?
I guess it could be that the owners died, and didn't have any family to leave it to, or the family are fighting over who gets it.

I've seen a good few of these places around north Wales, also some dotted about Lincolnshire too. One of the ones I actually went up to was what looked to have been a pre-fab bungalow just outside Sutton on sea, it had just been left to rot. I remember that as I walked up to what looked like the front of it, it actually turned out I was standing on the roof!! All that's left now is a chimney stack with some wood piled around it.

I'd love to get my hands on an old house like these, I'm looking to buy a house at the moment, (first house at that!) and it really gets on my nerves when the banks will lend on a new very small overpriced shared ownership 1 bed apartment for £90,000 but show them a slightly dilapidated big house, with a price tag of £50,000, and they say oooh, we can't lend on that, it's uninhabitable!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 14th Feb 2015, 1:18 am   #28
Peter.N.
Dekatron

There are loads of videos of them on YouTube both here and in the states, some have old TV's. Some of these derelict places still have electricity on!

Peter
Old 14th Feb 2015, 1:20 am   #29
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I do a bit of country walking and some years ago, with a group, we came across an abandoned house in the Worcestershire-Herefordshire area. It had clearly been abandoned a long time as effectively it was now camouflaged in a wood as trees had grown up all around it and covered it in. It was a long way off 'the beaten track' and there was no evidence of vehicular access, the only access being our single file rarely used woodland footpath. There appeared to be no electricity or water supply.

I had a look inside and there were sticks of furniture and oddments junk - all the worse for wear and ravaged. The tiny kitchen was intriguing as it still had what looked a stove of sorts and there was crockery on shelves and cups on hooks. There were a few empty bottles and tins - sights not dissimilar to what we have seen on the link - though unlike the link nothing of much interest or worth. I guess anything worth anything had probably long been looted. The stairs were steep, looked very rickety and likely to be rotten so I did not risk venturing upstairs.

Locals remember it being inhabited and the story went that the family just walked out one Christmastime and never came back. Long standing members of the walking group who knew of the property said that the dressed Christmas Tree remained long after the abandonment.
Old 14th Feb 2015, 8:38 am   #30
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

That will snapped up now and turned into a holiday home. It doesn't look like the old houses I've seen. They missed out the empty cup and plate as if the owner had just got up and left.

There are a lot less abandoned houses nowadays than there used to be. When I was a kid there were several where I lived in the Midlands with most of the stuff in there. One such had lots of radio equipment in there, we called it the sailors house as there were pictures of war ships and a man in a sailors cap on the wall. I'm sorry to say that the old house got smashed up.

There were also several old garages full of electronic "stuff" as well as a very old car still in perfect condition. It all got vandalised; we made our own "amusement" in those days as they say.

It's always a little sad when you see a skip full of old possessions with old pictures and the contents of drawers; keepsakes that meant something to a previous owner, but now meaningless.

Andy.
Old 14th Feb 2015, 9:33 am   #31
Radio Wrangler

The last living member of a family up in the highlands of Scotland died in the early 1990s. But where this diverges from the stories behind most time-capule ruins was that the family had been very wealthy with money from a whiskey business.

Miss Cattanach had been a very private person. Few people when she was alive knew what she'd been doing, but it came out later. She'd given millions of pounds to charities, and set up a trust with her will to continue it.

Her brother had been killed in World War II, and she had closed up his rooms and his garage when he died. The result was a time capsule of radios and cars from the 1930s because those had been his interests.

The trust gave all the radio gear to the Museum of Communications (Now in Burntisland) and as a result you can go and see the full collection of a chap who was very strongly into making radios in the 1930s and who wasn't financially limited. Everything has been kept dry and warm since new. This means you can see things in shiny new condition which gives the feeling of being there.

So it's the tale of a family dying out and leaving a house, but at the opposite end of the financial spectrum.

The photographic world got their own time capsule several years ago in the studio/home of a Mr Chambré Hardman in Liverpool, and that's a real gem for anyone who likes old photo gear and processes. I suspect there may be a few radios there too.

David
Old 14th Feb 2015, 10:58 am   #32
slidertogrid
Octode

I'm sure this has been discussed before, possibly on the VRAT forum, It is incredible how many abandoned houses are in existence and quite a proportion have a lot of the original contents still in place.
Unfortunately the vandals and scrap metal seem to find them eventually.
I have trawled the abandoned places website over the years and have seen some very nice TV sets, cars and radio's.
There was an old farm that appeared time again, It was nicknamed the hoarders house.
There were many old cars and television sets in the barns and house from 405 only sets through to a early Kb colour set, but as time passed the pictures became more and more depressing the cars and Tv sets were smashed up and eventually cleared for scrap.
I was dismayed to see a GEC 2000 series Tv bite the dust as it's exactly the model I had been wanting for years !
I have some pictures, please excuse the poor quality they were taken with my phone from a computer screen.
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1648.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	104119   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1653.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	104120   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1656.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	104121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1628.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	104122   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1650.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	104123  

Old 14th Feb 2015, 11:40 am   #33
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

One similar situation was featured here some time (2 years?) ago when the collection at Axminster was offered to members of this forum.
The original owner had an extensive collection, covering radios and TV's plus ex-military kit, test gear etc.
Sadly, corrosion and vandalism had taken its toll so that there was very little that was worth saving.
(But I did manage to save some spares etc.)
Old 14th Feb 2015, 8:25 pm   #34
Barry Lloyd
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
I think I can see a socket to the left of the range in the fireplace.
And also a light switch on the wall in picture 15?

Barry
Old 15th Feb 2015, 9:50 am   #35
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I know someone in Axminster who has an extensive collection of vintage radios but I don't think they will end up like those in the photo's.

The house we live in was derelict in the '60s, no electricity or water, it was restored by the people we bought it from in 1970. I was told by the estate manager that they used to shelter in here when it was raining.

A friend of mine who lived not far from here found a derelict house in the woods near his and in it was an old battery set, I still have one or two of the valves somewhere.

Peter
Old 15th Feb 2015, 5:44 pm   #36
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stepney View Post
...One similar situation was featured here some time (2 years?) ago when the collection at Axminster was offered to members of this forum...
I did rescue one set - a GEC BT448 as featured in this thread. I got it going nicely and then passed it onto another forum member to make space for the next project.
Old 22nd Feb 2015, 9:31 pm   #37
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Those photos definitely look staged to me, notice the different amounts of dust on different items and the lack of cobwebs, dirt and mould on the windows and frames etc.. I could be wrong of course.

As a kid I once dreamt of finding an old abandoned house, with a well preserved dual standard TV waiting to be rescued. This helped to spark my interest. A few years later I did the next best thing and "rescued" an Ultra Bermuda from a nearby secondhand shop (an Alladdin's Cave of old TVs and video recorders etc. at the time) for the princely sum of £10. Still haven't got round to fixing it

Still nice to see some interest by the media and some lovely old sets.

Brian
Closed Thread