UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2006, 3:18 pm   #21
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Ugliest Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWard View Post
The beautiful Ferguson 625U...
It is, shall we say, alarmingly plain I wonder if it was by their other designer, as most of their sets at the time seem to have veered in the direction of flamboyant weirdness, like my 627U and the Futura. And then there were the transistor portables (Fieldsman, Fieldfare) where the PP9 was inserted by opening a hinged door on top of the radio

The RB10 Gavotte is a bit grim in every way: I have one. I'll join with the admirers of the Sobell 615, though. I'm favourably impressed by the Bug, too, even if I'm as alone here in that predilection as I was in the matter of the Cath Kidston Roberts Revival

Paul
Old 11th Aug 2006, 3:22 pm   #22
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Most of the early 60s cheap plastic valve radios are a bit of an acquired taste.
You can send all of those ugly, unwanted, cheap, plastic valve radios over here for *ahem* proper disposal....
Old 11th Aug 2006, 6:14 pm   #23
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I'm working on one of these at the moment: http://www.somerset.net/arm/radio_pi.../ekco_u354.jpg

Not the ugliest radio in the world, but not the prettiest either

Paul
I have a red and cream one of those in my kitchen. It looks OK there, and plastic seems more appropriate there than wood or bakelite. I am very happy with the sound from it - with the dial pointer in pretty much exactly the same place as the one in the picture
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:31 pm   #24
Top Cap
Octode

Yep! I think the KB RB10 is Fab! I would love one!
I think my Pye QAC2 is pretty ugly, I mean, who on earth even in 1937 or whatever would actually seriously buy one, but people did!
The only other set that I can think of for demean looks is the Ever Ready saucepan radio, I must confess I never liked it that much.
Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	4902   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	4903  
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:39 pm   #25
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

I think this Philco gives a whole new meaning to the word "ugly".... :-

http://www.vintageradio.co.uk/pages/item2p.htm

Regards, Mick. .
Old 11th Aug 2006, 8:47 pm   #26
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

OK. OK. That one is frightening.

It looks like the snout of a railroad locomotive!
Old 11th Aug 2006, 10:41 pm   #27
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hmm, I quite like the saucepan set - I want one, but will probably end up making a replica....

The Philco isnt that bad really.......

That French thing though.......looking for green vomiting smilie and not finding one...... Is utterly disgusting - would look well at home on Salisbury Plain - I am sure the military would love a small target.......

Cheers
Sean
Old 12th Aug 2006, 12:51 am   #28
Steve_P
Dekatron

All this shows is that different people like different things as far as Vintage Radio is concerned, and different countries like different things. There are three here that I have in my collection!

French and American Radios are not like ours, and some of these sets are based on such designs. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Both of those modern sets are pretty awful, equally so on the inside.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 12th Aug 2006, 1:05 am   #29
Top Cap
Octode

Hi Steve, Yes I was going to say the same, I like the KB FB10 Toaster but others see it as really ugly. Many guests here have seen it, some turn up their noses but other almost get on their knees to beg me to sell it to them
The Ever Ready saucepan radio makes me think that perhaps someone high up in Ever Ready saw an Ekco AD36 and said "Let's make something like that but a lot cheaper". And that's what they came up with but I am probably being too cruel but then I do see it as a must have for those deeply into collecting.
Les
Old 12th Aug 2006, 9:02 am   #30
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

I have to admit,the Sobell 615 is without doubt the ugliest radio i have in my collection.So ugly in fact that i robbed it of it's speaker a few days ago for a far nicer looking radio.I'm not into Fifties radios at all but that French Oceanic is just awesome and but for the high start price i'd be bidding on it now.As for the Wards Airline,my pal John has just won said item and he likes it.So i think the old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" rules. Colin.
Old 12th Aug 2006, 9:25 am   #31
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Is it fair to put the Saucepan set into an ugliest radio competition. It was made for a specific purpose that more or less constrained how it would look. It does not change the fact though that it - is to be charitable - unprepossesing.

Reading the posts and looking at the pictures I have to accept, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Could this also change with fashion? I think in my past I saw the Sobell when it was introduced and was very impressed as a child. Now I think it is ghastly.
Old 12th Aug 2006, 10:15 am   #32
sparkie
Retired Dormant Member

Well, I'm glad there are a few other votes for the Sobell 615 !! To me, the radio and table gram versions of this are the most disproportionate and ungainly designs I've ever seen, and the chassis follows the usual Sobell theme of cheap and nasty. The 'BUG' always reminds me of that awful mawkish ET film rubber doll character so that (and Stephanie's 'orrible boom boxes) are the modern-day equivalents...
Old 13th Aug 2006, 12:29 am   #33
GJR 11L
Heptode

That Philco scares me! I'm sure that those who are experts in the field of dreams would be able to explain the popular nightmare that involves the sufferer believing something like that is sitting on their chest just looking at them! Or was that the black dog? Same difference.......

Interesting that in a thread about ugly radios, nobody has yet questioned the looks of the Grundig YB210 of around 1970. They're incredibly good at what they do and I love mine to bits, but I wouldn't want to be trapped in a darkened room full of the things!
Old 13th Aug 2006, 1:06 am   #34
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

This post may belong on a totally new thread, but wasn't the Saucepan radio designed for areas without electricity, especially in developing world countries?

How common might these sets be, I wonder. I wouldn't call the Saucepan ugly. I'd call it utilitarian. They could have come up with a much uglier design....and other companies pursuing that market (rural non-electrified homesteads) sure have.

Witness the Freeplay Lifeline. Made in People's Republic of China:

http://www.ccrane.com/images/large/f...line-radio.jpg

Another thing that ugly-a$$ Philco reminds me of: A knight's helmet. Can you imagine some guy on a horse wearing that thing, breathing like Darth Vader? "You are my SON!"
Old 13th Aug 2006, 1:32 am   #35
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
wasn't the Saucepan radio designed for areas without electricity, especially in developing world countries?

How common might these sets be, I wonder. I wouldn't call the Saucepan ugly. I'd call it utilitarian. They could have come up with a much uglier design....and other companies pursuing that market (rural non-electrified homesteads) sure have.

Witness the Freeplay Lifeline. Made in People's Republic of China:
Sorry Stephanie, you can't criticise Trevor Baylis, he's a sort of eccentric British Mother Theresa It's his life's mission to sell overpriced inappropriate patronising windup radios to the world's poverty stricken peoples as a way of preventing HIV infection: http://www.freeplayenergy.com/index....ection=history

Paul
Old 13th Aug 2006, 3:32 am   #36
JoOngle
Retired Dormant Member

This "Ugly Radio" thread is fun, man...I'm going to have so many
nightmares tonight I'm not going to sleep so I might as well post:

http://www.unicos.co.jp/kens/00/coke-radio.jpg

How is THAT for ugly? Want more?

http://www.johndyer.com/PinkRadioA_small.jpg

...brrr...*shudders*....more?

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Where on EARTH do people get these ideas for a new radio?

http://antiqueradio.org/art/Fada100001.jpg

Yipes...

Know the worst part? If you go to your local radio dealer
today's DAB (Digital Audio Broadcast) Radios try to mimic
yesteryears kitch-design radios... I can't for the life of me
figure out who buys those things, I know I won't.

(....then again...I do build radios from scratch)..
Old 13th Aug 2006, 9:39 am   #37
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I think that the Fada must have been put here in error - would have never thought it ugly!

Cheers
Sean
Old 13th Aug 2006, 10:42 am   #38
GJR 11L
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy View Post
I think that the Fada must have been put here in error - would have never thought it ugly!

Cheers
Sean

Seconded! I wouldn't mind a couple of those......
Old 13th Aug 2006, 11:49 am   #39
Neil Purling
Nonode

That thing with the Coke logo on........ Are there any bottles left in it?
The 'Saucepan Special' was of material from a saucepan manufacturer. If it's requirement was that it was durable and insect proof then it did the job. It still looked like a speaker from off a factory wall.

Last edited by Neil Purling; 13th Aug 2006 at 11:52 am. Reason: More thoughts
Old 13th Aug 2006, 12:17 pm   #40
JoshWard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cap View Post
Yep! I think the KB RB10 is Fab! I would love one!
I think my Pye QAC2 is pretty ugly, I mean, who on earth even in 1937 or whatever would actually seriously buy one, but people did!
The only other set that I can think of for demean looks is the Ever Ready saucepan radio, I must confess I never liked it that much.
Les

That Pye is wonderful looking. I have a strong affection for all Pye products. If you ever want to sell it... I also like the saucepan set. Another thing is to be said about that Philco.... Josh.
Closed Thread