UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2008, 8:12 pm   #1
immediate
Tetrode

Default Damaged Hacker

Hi,

Please could someone be so kind as to suggest a way of repairing the damage shown in the photos? Apart from this the set, a Hacker Super Sovereign RP75 MB, is in virtually mint condition; it would be nice to mend the damage if possible.

I have taken the chassis out, and the cabinet components appear to be glued together, so removing the damaged panel would not be easy.

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hacker_01.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	21363   Click image for larger version

Name:	hacker_00.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	21364   Click image for larger version

Name:	hacker_04.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	21365   Click image for larger version

Name:	hacker_03.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	21366  
Old 19th Nov 2008, 11:05 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Damaged Hacker

Hello Allan,

I'd try and get that dink out by gently rubbing water on it, or by applying steam to the area from a kettle, which should make it swell back out. When dry, rub down the front edge with fine sandpaper until smooth and treat with 2-3 coats of teak oil.

Howard
Old 19th Nov 2008, 11:29 pm   #3
Colin
Heptode

If there's already a coating of teak oil or varnish covering the damage it may be helpful to carefully remove this before treating with water or steam. I've used this method on a number of occasions and the results are very good. You may need to do this a number of times and then gently tidy it up with fine sandpaper before applying the finish.
Old 20th Nov 2008, 12:15 am   #4
yestertech
Nonode

Just thinking outside the box here - Are the end cheeks interchangeable and the mountings centered and/or symetrical ?
If so you could swap them over and the damage would be on the rear edge instead ?

Just a crazy thought.....

ANdy
Old 20th Nov 2008, 10:20 am   #5
immediate
Tetrode

Many thanks to everyone for the helpful replies, much appreciated! I'll address them in order:

1) Howard: I would never in a million years have thought of water or steam! Then I remembered how my garage door sticks in damp or humid weather, and it made sense. I've tried your suggestion with water and there is a huge improvement already. I think steam would risk damaging the vinyl, so will keep going with water.

2) Colin: I cleaned with white spirit and meths; is there anything else I should use?

3) setsappeal: Not crazy at all, actually it was my first thought! The end panels appear to be symetrical and identical front to back. The problem is that the case is strongly glued, so how to remove them without damage I don't know. I also have a battered version of this set and considered canibalising one panel, but the glue problem remains.

I will continue with the water and post some pictures of "work in progress!"

Many thanks again.

Allan
Old 20th Nov 2008, 10:55 am   #6
Colin
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by immediate View Post

2) Colin: I cleaned with white spirit and meths; is there anything else I should use?
Probably not. Just make sure the moisture can penetrate the wood.
Old 20th Nov 2008, 10:56 am   #7
immediate
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Probably not. Just make sure the moisture can penetrate the wood.
Will do! I'm watering it now and it seems to be soaking in.
Old 20th Nov 2008, 8:36 pm   #8
immediate
Tetrode

I've just checked my stock of repair materials, and I have Topps Scratch Cover Polish in light, medium and dark shades, plus button polish and French polish, neither of which I've ever tried using. But no teak polish. Would any of the products I've got be OK, or could someone please suggest a source for teak polish?

Thanks again,

Allan
Old 20th Nov 2008, 8:58 pm   #9
howard
Nonode

Hello Allan,

Topps scratch polish is fine for disguising scratches in large areas of dark wood but I'd be wary of using it on your Hacker cos it stains, and any area that has lost its varnish will soak it up the most. You can get teak oil from Robert Dyas, B&Q, HomeBase etc. and that will match the original finish and colour a lot better.

Howard
Old 21st Nov 2008, 9:34 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

French polish and button polish are both shellac dissolved in alcohol - they need a lot of preparation and skilled application, so I'd forget that.

Teak oil or Danish oil are what you need.
Old 22nd Nov 2008, 5:34 pm   #11
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

A good method i have used to steam out a dent is put a folded wet peice of cloth over the dent and applly a hot soldering iron . seams to work well and locally. Justkeep lifting off to check.
Closed Thread