UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2018, 9:20 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile OB camera in Chester.

Hi,
I'm on a facebook group about the City of Chester.
A few days ago was posted a monochrome photo of a BBC TV outside broadcast camera photographed in Chester city centre in 1967. The copyright is reserved by the Cheshire Observer newspaper, so I'm reluctant to repost it here, alas.
The camera is mounted on a heavy steel tubular 'dolly' with four pneumatic wheels and a steering handle with brake lever.
It looks like one of those cameras that can have up to four lenses, but it appears to have just one very long one with a cable going to it. The lens is so long, in fact, that it needs two guy wires to stop it sagging! The cameraman is looking into an electronic view finder on top of the camera. On the side is the 'BBC tv' logo.
Does it ring any bells with anyone about the equipment, or the event?
Thanks in advance, and sorry I can't be more helpful.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 12th Jul 2018, 11:01 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: OB camera in Chester.

Try Mole Richardson for the wheeled dolly and Marconi for the camera. They were common makers at the time
Old 12th Jul 2018, 11:23 pm   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: OB camera in Chester.

Perhaps it was a zoom lens. Around that time I recall reading in "Amateur Photographer" that Taylor-Hobson had produced what I think at the time was the world's largest zoom ratio lens (20:1 - 2" to 40") that the BBC were trying out.
Closed Thread