UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:12 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default "Rubbish" on BBC4

The Secret Life Of... (Hunikin reference). Another brilliant documentary on this channel (1/2). Probably tailor made for frugal Forum members. I liked the chap dumping a TV who says "it's too big isn't it?" so it's obviously working! There's an interesting white portable and other shots later of domestic consumables. Birmingham comes out of it very well, incinerating rubbish to generate electricity, to power electric 1930's design bin wagons in the fifties. Even the soundtrack is Penguin Cafe who re-cycled the telephone engaged tone into a great music track often heard on adverts! Repeated later, in the week and I-Player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p48tt

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 29th Nov 2012 at 11:17 pm.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 4:08 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: "Rubbish" on BBC4

Yes, a very enjoable mix of facts and personal memories from those who were there. And as you say, lots of shots of early radios and TVs. Looking forward to next week.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 5:06 pm   #3
Pete_kaye
Octode

And the poor guy who developed huge muscles on his elbows by lifting bins all day! It wouldn't happen today.
Old 30th Nov 2012, 5:08 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Cheers Andrew. The review in Today's Guardian is pretty much "wot I rote" here except they're too young to know about P Cafe and the tune!
There are so many BBC4/2 programs with relevant or just interesting bits. I must try and do an archive list.

You are right about the muscle Pete but it's still a fairly hard job just not quite so dirty or concentrated on one part of the body. It's easy to disparage H and Safety but that foreman's advice..."always hang onto the stick as it will catch and stop you dropping through" the MANhole into the Destructor (ie a roaring furnace) blimey .
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 30th Nov 2012 at 5:24 pm.
Old 1st Dec 2012, 12:34 am   #5
SnowyDog
Triode

Thanks for this Dave. Just watched it now.

Really interesting programme! Wonder what happened to the guy who invented the "Revopak" lorry - must have made a fortune and disappeared.

Cheers,
Robin
Old 1st Dec 2012, 11:12 am   #6
peter_scott
Dekatron

There are a few episodes from that series on YouTube too.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...life+of+hunkin

Peter
Old 1st Dec 2012, 6:22 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Ah yes correct spelling for Hunkin "Secret Life" as well. He never did a program actually on re-cycling but that's probaly because he was doing that all the time. He did set fire to a pile of TV's which has caused some comment on here but overall, he constantly found a new use for odd bits. I like the episode in which he explains the Fax system using two blokes a few fields apart, semaphore signals, a yard brush and buckets of b+w paint. Almost Monty Python but it works!

The Revopak inventor probably did very well out of it, like the Yorkshireman who came up with "Cats Eyes" and partied on the proceeds. Cats eyes aren't still around but the rubbish crushing mechanism certainly is! It's interesting that someone would restore a Revopak wagon with the same dedication shown towards TV's and Radios on this site.
Dave
Old 1st Dec 2012, 8:35 pm   #8
Neil Purling
Nonode

I suppose it is rubbish-related. You are thinking of the bin wagon obsessive that has the cut-down S&D Revopak from the Isles of Scilly he exhibits at rallies. It was a subject of the Ch4 series 'Salvage Squad'. They did the restoration.
Old 1st Dec 2012, 10:16 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

OK Neil, so that's the chap in the film?
Dave
Old 7th Dec 2012, 4:13 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

If anything last night's final (2/2) episode was even better. Fascinating technical history re the various methods of waste disposal (or recovery) interwoven with the social/eco history and sometimes rather touching personal stories. To cap it all (wi've a dustman's at!) they visited the inventor of the wheelie bin in his home town which, to my great surprise, turned out to be Bury. I've never seen a reference to that in the Buried Times (not a typo) despite all the self congratulation regarding the Local Re-cycling scheme.
Dave W
Old 7th Dec 2012, 5:06 pm   #11
Nymrod121
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post

... like the Yorkshireman who came up with "Cats Eyes" and partied on the proceeds ....
Dave
I thought Ken Dodd's version of this was classic:

"... it's a good job the cat wasn't going the other way, or he would have invented the pencil sharpener ...
Closed Thread