UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Dec 2011, 6:43 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Ekco AD65 chrome bars

Has anyone three spare bars willing to sell?

Thanks for looking John.
Old 15th Jan 2012, 12:17 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco AD65 chrome bars

I am still needing them. John, BVWS member.
Old 15th Jan 2012, 12:25 pm   #3
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I think the genuine articles will prove virtually impossible to obtain outside of a complete set. Some sort of replacement reproduction would seem to be the only alternative.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 15th Jan 2012, 12:52 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thanks Robert, I had thought about making some. The Bakelite bars on a brown AD65 are tapered in cross section, I wounder if the chrome bars are also tapered, being wider at the back. John.
Old 15th Jan 2012, 1:11 pm   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

I'm not sure about the taper John. I own a brown bakelite AD266 (which is the Radio Rentals version of the AD65 made for them by Ekco) and an empty brown bakelite AD65 case.

I hadn't particularly noticed a taper on the speaker bars from front to back. I will investigate further and report back!

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 15th Jan 2012, 1:40 pm   #6
Robert Darwent
Heptode

There is a taper John, but negligible. I measured 5/32" width at the front and 3/16" at the back. So it is not noticeable to the eye really.

I would suggest a replacement metal bar of rectangular cross-section would be suitable.

I believe there are places that would then give the metal a chrome finish at a reasonable price by mail.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 15th Jan 2012, 6:43 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you Robert, I will try and get some brass. Any one know if the chome bars had a taper? I suspect the taper on Bakelite bars was for ease of release during the moulding process.
Old 15th Jan 2012, 8:42 pm   #8
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
I suspect the taper on Bakelite bars was for ease of release during the moulding process.
I would agree with that suspicion John.

Although I don't know for certain as I don't own or have access to a black/chrome version of the AD65, I would assume that the speaker bars are of rectangular cross-section at 3/16" thickness and have no taper.

If you do decided to have a go at making your own bars, post #19 of the following thread recommends a suitable company for the re-chroming;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=55701&post#19

One point I would make though is that if you intend to use brass to make the bars from, to ensure that it is a suitable metal for the re-chroming process. I don't know whether brass is suitable or not and you may already know for certain in that regard, but I thought it worth mentioning before you proceed.

Best wishes and regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 15th Jan 2012 at 8:54 pm.
Old 15th Jan 2012, 11:49 pm   #9
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I have had brass chromed before, by a local firm. I just need some brass bar 4.5mm x 13mm, or 3/16 x 1/2 inch which seems difficult to obtain without having to reduce it throughout its length. I have had a quick look on internet and not found any yet. Any one sell the exact size?

John.
Old 16th Jan 2012, 4:15 pm   #10
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi John,

There's this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-300-MM-...item45f20c7b3f You don't specify the length, so I don't know if it's long enough?

David
Old 16th Jan 2012, 4:47 pm   #11
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Looks to be just what John needs Dave.

The three speaker bars are all equal in size. I haven't got an exact measurement to hand, but as a guess-timate I believe they are roughly 5.5 inches in length. So John will need two lots of the brass bar being offered in that link.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk

Last edited by Robert Darwent; 16th Jan 2012 at 4:57 pm.
Old 16th Jan 2012, 6:55 pm   #12
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you Dave and Robert, another forum member kindly Pm me with the same info and I orderd a couple of lengths. The outside bars are 6" and the middle bar is just slightly longer so ony one per 12" length. Cost £13.06 inc p&p.
The then came a shock I started trying to find a place to get them chromed, I was quoted £45 + VAT, I think I will take them to their works rather than explaning over the phone. John.
Old 16th Jan 2012, 7:48 pm   #13
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Quote:
The outside bars are 6" and the middle bar is just slightly longer so ony one per 12" length.
Yes you're quite right, the middle bar is longer than the other two. Sorry, I didn't take that into account with my earlier 'guess-timate' when I said you'd only need two lots of the brass bar in Dave's link.

Quote:
The then came a shock I started trying to find a place to get them chromed, I was quoted £45 + VAT
Wow, that is pricey! Have you tried the company in the earlier link I gave you back in post #8? The OP stated he was only charged £15 for re-chroming an A22 speaker ring bezel.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 16th Jan 2012, 9:36 pm   #14
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Robert, most of the cost is the buffing. Like I said I will hawk them around, let them see there are no difficult corners ect. Hopefully it will be a greatly reduced price. John.
Old 17th Jan 2012, 12:50 pm   #15
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Just an update, The brass bar I ordered yesterday at 11.26 from Chronos Engineering Supplies arrived early this morning very well packed, with a 5% discount voucher of my next order. I am very impressed with their service. I should add I have no connection only a satisfied customer. John.
Old 17th Jan 2012, 1:45 pm   #16
Aerodyne
Octode

Don't forget about this material, John:
http://themodelmakersresource.co.uk/...rticle018.html
and for a supplier:
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?ma...urer_id=309536
Also available from Hobby's.
A lot cheaper than plating, I suspect - worth a try. There's a few videos on U-tube but using model cars.
-Tony
Old 17th Jan 2012, 2:58 pm   #17
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Tony, I have some of that foil, or something very similar, my only concern is the ends of the bars are round. This would need cutting and folding. I am not too sure how it would look, I never was any good at wrapping presents! I will have a short length of brass left over to practice on. John.
Old 17th Jan 2012, 10:39 pm   #18
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Unfortunately Chrome plating has become very expensive of late - I had a pair of handles chromed about 18 months ago - £61!

It moght be worth finding someone that is having a large batch done, and sneaking your little bits in - most places have a minimum charge, I think you might have just found that out.

HTH
Sean
Old 18th Jan 2012, 12:52 am   #19
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Tony, I have tried the foil, might be good stuff but not for the size I am doing. Sean, I still have to let the Platers see the bars to get a better price.

Thanks, John,
Old 18th Jan 2012, 7:35 pm   #20
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Chromium plating's a nasty process, and I suspect that much of the cost these days relates to H&S precautions.
Perhaps a plater can offer an alternative bright metal finish at a better price.
I understand that it's often possible to negotiate a better rate on small parts if one isn't in any hurry, as they can include the items in a batch of larger jobs.
Closed Thread