UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2011, 9:25 pm   #1
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default "BBC TV at 75 years" night including "Fools on the Hill" - Wednesday on BBC Four

A heads up for forum members, as I've not seen it mentioned on here (either that or I'm going blind).

From Radio Times' website:

20:00-21:00:
"Regional TV: Life Through a Local Lens"

Quote:
“We will not talk as if we have bananas in our mouths,” declared Granada founder Sidney Bernstein, and with that revolutionary decision an alternative to the posh, po-faced BBC was born.

Michael Parkinson, Angela Rippon and Martin Bell are among the twinkly-eyed alumni who reminisce about their heady days on the frontline of regional television in this documentary. Even more testing than the cumbersome equipment and frequent breakdowns were the hard-to-decipher accents of the locals. And it wasn’t all beauty contests and vox pops: regional television broke major news and invented shows that are still staples of today’s schedules — like Top Gear, which started in the Midlands with Rippon behind the wheel.

Stuffed full of archive clips guaranteed to raise a chuckle, this will make you pine for the decades when a slow news day meant a ten-minute story on nipple-tassle-tossing.

Contributors including Michael Parkinson, Angela Rippon and Martin Bell recall the rise of regional broadcasting in the UK during the 1950s and 60s, as ITV and the BBC took advantage of advances in transmitter technology to bring stories of local interest to a growing TV audience. The programme looks back at the range of formats created by regional broadcasters, and assesses the future for local-interest programmes in the digital age.
21:00 - 22:00
"Imagine: '. . . and then there was Television'"

Quote:
Exploring the development of television and the BBC on the 75th anniversary of the first highly defined TV broadcast from Alexandra Palace. Alan Yentob follows pioneering engineers and on-screen talent back to the studios, where they reminisce about those early days, including the famous potter's wheel `interlude' shown when cameras failed.
22:00 - 23:15:
"The Fools on the Hill"

Quote:
Jack Rosenthal's 1986 drama based on the BBC's first `high-definition' television broadcast at London's Alexandra Palace on November 2, 1936. The service was set to be the first of its kind in the world - but behind the scenes, not everything was going to plan. Starring Shaughan Seymour.
Old 1st Nov 2011, 11:42 am   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: "BBC TV at 75 years" night including "Fools on the Hill" - Wednesday on BBC Four

Thanks for letting us know about these Aidan. I missed "Fools on the Hill" first time round.

Also worth a mention for those who missed it, "The Road To Coronation Street" on BBC4 tonight (Tuesday 1st November). Brilliantly done.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 11:41 am   #3
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: "BBC TV at 75 years" night including "Fools on the Hill" - Wednesday on BBC Four

I seem to have accidentally missed another celebration programme from 23:15-00:15 tonight on BBC4, after "Fools":

"Demob Happy"

Quote:
Radio Times website

Exploration of the BBC's post-war entertainment scene. The new generation of writers and performers gave birth to radical new comedies such as The Goons and Hancock's Half Hour, while the emergence of television saw rival ITV rise to challenge the national broadcaster. With contributions by Denis Norden, Barry Cryer, June Whitfield and Joan Bakewell.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 1:08 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Looks like an interesting nights viewing. All set to record.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 2:34 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Actually I did flag this on the 29th Aidan and on Jeffrey's post this morning but I think your eyesight is probaly ok. You have actually pointed out something I'd just noticed myself ie this "Demob Happy" repeat mentioned in newspapers and the website is different to the Radio Times listing of "Regional TV" a program shown last year. We may have to wait and see which one it is in the end. See Jeffrey's thread [in Vint TV] for my other suggestion! It might be my imagination but there does seem to be more of this sort of thing since they sold "out" the Radio Times
recently.
Dave
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 3:34 pm   #6
paulsherwin

From http://www.whatsontv.co.uk:
Code:
7:30 Time to Remember Series 1. Episode 2/12: Stage and Screen: Archive footage of theatres, music halls and cinemas from the 1920s and 30s is combined with narrated reminiscences to shed light on the entertainment industry of the early 20th century. Includes reels of Charles Laughton applying his own stage make-up, chorus line auditions, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks' trip to Europe, and Alfred Hitchcock's 1929 release Blackmail. Narrated by Lesley Sharp

8:00 Regional TV: Life Through a Local Lens Contributors including Michael Parkinson, Angela Rippon and Martin Bell recall the rise of regional broadcasting in the UK during the 1950s and 60s, as ITV and the BBC took advantage of advances in transmitter technology to bring stories of local interest to a growing TV audience. The programme looks back at the range of formats created by regional broadcasters, and assesses the future for local-interest programmes in the digital age

9:00 Imagine: And Then There Was Television Exploring the development of television and the BBC on the 75th anniversary of the first highly defined TV broadcast from Alexandra Palace. Alan Yentob follows pioneering engineers and on-screen talent back to the studios, where they reminisce about those early days, including the famous potter's wheel `interlude' shown when cameras failed

10:00 The Fools on the Hill Jack Rosenthal's 1986 drama based on the BBC's first `high-definition' television broadcast at London's Alexandra Palace on November 2, 1936. The service was set to be the first of its kind in the world - but behind the scenes, not everything was going to plan. Starring Shaughan Seymour

11:15 Demob Happy Exploration of the BBC's post-war entertainment scene. The new generation of writers and performers gave birth to radical new comedies such as The Goons and Hancock's Half Hour, while the emergence of television saw rival ITV rise to challenge the national broadcaster. With contributions by Denis Norden, Barry Cryer, June Whitfield and Joan Bakewell
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 3:41 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks Paul. Looks like they've dropped the repeat of Sunday's film. Maybe someone decided it was worth more than just half a night's recognition?
I still think that "Pioneers of TV" would have been an obvious choice as well.
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 2nd Nov 2011 at 4:02 pm.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 6:04 pm   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Time to start recording ....
Finally, some real TV instead of the usual dross.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 8:40 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

They are trying to confuse us. The BBC4 on screen menu seems in accord with Pauls helpfull posting [ie Reg TV next] but an audio trail just now left out 8pm and started at 9! Perhaps it's just me? I'll record it all anyway. Always plenty of "real TV" on Beeb4 Mike.
Dave W
Closed Thread