UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2010, 1:28 pm   #1
petertheorgan
Hexode

Default Vintage Clang Plug Adapters

As some of you will know , I have a small collection of vintage electrical fittings , however I made an interesting discovery the other day , more by chance than by experiment , but I will share this in case anybody else (like me ) like to keep all their vintage stuff on original plugs

Clang made a complete range of these adapters , in the Photos there is one 15 amp to one 15amp and two 5 amps

2 off 5 amp to three 5 amps

2 off 2 amp to three 2 amps

however the interesting thing is that the socket on the right hand side of two of the adapters ( marked with the red dot) has its polarity reversed but identical models have not .
I am surprised that even 50 years ago + one would be allowed to supply an adapter that reversed the polarity on one socket

I wonder if the other Identical looking ones were later models

I would be interested in any comments

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00640 (Medium).jpg
Views:	449
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	37651   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00641 (Medium).jpg
Views:	429
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	37652   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00642 (Medium).jpg
Views:	470
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	37653  
Old 5th Jul 2010, 1:38 pm   #2
yampy187
Hexode

Default Re: Vintage Clang Plug Adapters

Hi there,

Now that is random

I think i still have in the loft somewhere a whole box of old Bakelite plugs, sockets, adaptors, lamp fittings, switches. almost of every variation. a lot of it made made by MK, Clang and G.E.C if i rightly remember. If i can dig them out I'll have a look at the pin layout on the adaptors and see if there are any the same.

Jan
Old 5th Jul 2010, 2:59 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Both of the round-pin three-way adaptors which I have also have that naughty reverse polarity on the right-hand socket. No doubt this was simply a matter of cost cutting by using a straight-through connection between left- and right-hand sockets rather than a more complex cross-over.
Old 5th Jul 2010, 6:04 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
I seem to recall seeing a 3 pin 5 Amp Clang adapter, of the type(s) shown here which had one 3 Pin socket on the front and only 2 pin sockets on the sides, the holes where the side Earth pins would have been on the 3 pin version being replaced by a long screw and nut assembly; Perhaps your "odd polarity" adapters are a 3 pin version of these!

It is also possible that there was a 15 amp version of the 2/3 pin adapter.

I have some clang adapters kicking around in my plug/socket collection and will check mine for polarity differences too!

It is also interesting to note that your odd polarity adapter has shrouded live and neutral pins which, to me, suggests that it may be a later rather that earlier model!

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 5th Jul 2010 at 6:07 pm. Reason: Extra information added after reviewing pictures
Old 5th Jul 2010, 6:15 pm   #5
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Come to think of it, all the adaptors of this style I have (or used to have) were the same in this respect. Funny that it never occurred to me that the right-hand socket had reversed polarity despite having taken them apart to clean and re-spring the contacts!

I have a white 5-amp Clang adaptor which has the freezer plugged in (on a 5-amp spur with a fairly modern MK socket) and this adaptor has a 2-pin socket each side. This has the same arrangement but of course it doesn't matter with the 2-pin sockets. They are handy for my electric razors and battery chargers etc..

Brian
Old 5th Jul 2010, 7:51 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
I seem to recall seeing a 3 pin 5 Amp Clang adapter, of the type(s) shown here which had one 3 Pin socket on the front and only 2 pin sockets on the sides, the holes where the side Earth pins would have been on the 3 pin version being replaced by a long screw and nut assembly;
You recall correctly:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	adaptor.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	37671  
Old 5th Jul 2010, 8:22 pm   #7
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

There was also one that had a 2 pin 15A and 2 pin 5A that went into a 15A 3 pin socket.
(And, I am sure I recall a similar one that also had 3 pin sockets at the side as well.)
Old 5th Jul 2010, 10:15 pm   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

I have a Clang catalogue lurking somewhere, probably in my parents loft, maybe I should scan it!
Old 6th Jul 2010, 3:09 pm   #9
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I'd love to see the catalogue. Now I must confess that when I was little I used to take these things apart, and I have never consciously noticed any with reversed polarity outputs. IIRC putting the little plastic spacers between socket tubes of opposite polarity is the fiddliest bit of reassembly so I'd have noticed their absence.

I once built an adaptor chain with 100 adaptors, just for fun, and a few dozen of them must have been Clangs. The polarity was correct at the far end (perhaps there was an even number of reversers!)

Are your rogue ones definitely geniune Clang? Close copies were produced in the far East, some of which I think were sold in the UK under the Lyvia brand, although perhaps really manufactured for those former colonies where BS546 plugs are still in common use.

Lucien
Old 6th Jul 2010, 3:51 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Are your rogue ones definitely geniune Clang?
Both of mine are labelled "CLANG" and "made in England". This is clearly visible in the one I have pictured above.
Old 6th Jul 2010, 8:02 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

Lyvia made some pretty decent electrical fittings!

PS Clang are now Legrand

Last edited by McMurdo; 6th Jul 2010 at 8:08 pm.
Old 6th Jul 2010, 8:20 pm   #12
petertheorgan
Hexode

both my " rogue" ones and correct ones are clearly marked "clang" and "made in England" too
Old 6th Jul 2010, 8:38 pm   #13
McMurdo
Dekatron

A few bits here from the 30's, not Clang
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fittings.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	37705  
Old 6th Jul 2010, 9:07 pm   #14
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Another company that made these adapters was Grelco. The name is now a generic term in theatre lighting circles for 15 amp adapters. They're used to parallel stage lights.15A round pin are standard for stage lighting where the fuse is at the control dimmer and not in the plugs.

Malcolm
Old 6th Jul 2010, 9:13 pm   #15
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Those were the days... when they ran everything electrical in the house from a single light pendant I notice there are 2 amp plugs / sockets as well as the more familiar 5 & 15 amp. These are still available, as I discovered when doing some wiring work in a mates new porch. He wanted a socket for a table lamp but the only power was from the lighting circuit so I refused to fit a 13 amp socket. I had thought of looking for a small fused spur like the sort they used to fit for mains clocks but was offered the 2 amp socket instead.
Old 6th Jul 2010, 10:21 pm   #16
McMurdo
Dekatron

Yes the adapters on the right page of my scan are grelco, the original page of the catalogue shows them very clearly, it's when I uploaded it to this site that the quality went down somewhat!

A couple more pages from the 1937 MAC catalogue
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fittings2.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	37711   Click image for larger version

Name:	fittings3.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	37716  

Last edited by McMurdo; 6th Jul 2010 at 10:36 pm.
Old 6th Jul 2010, 11:05 pm   #17
petertheorgan
Hexode

Thanks for those interesting photos from your catalogue

I have attached a few more photos for general interest , I have learnt something , I always assumed these adapters were more 1950s than 1930s, I have learnt so many interesting facts from this forum !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00644 (Medium).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	37724   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00646 (Medium).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	37725   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00647 (Medium).jpg
Views:	263
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	37726  
Old 12th Jul 2010, 11:41 pm   #18
Techman
Dekatron

Here's what I used to use back in the day when I needed to adapt anything to anything!

Anything that I'm likely to find today that still has an old style plug fitted is unlikely to be in a fit state to just plug in (but you never know?), so this jumper board set up is now redundant to the loft..........

Name:	P1040017.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	37994
Old 14th Jul 2010, 10:25 pm   #19
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I used to collect old plugs and sockets as a Kid , still collect interesting light switches now. I recognise a lot from the catalogue pages .I love these old catalogues ,so interesting. Some of the switches could be mistaken for post war if it wasnt for these important references .
Old 17th Jul 2010, 7:56 pm   #20
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi, I have an ancient "Loblite" adapter that has one 15amp socket & two 5amp ones. The 15amp socket is sideways when the adaptor is plugged in and the live pin is straight through to the neutral socket with a strap connecting the neutral pin to the "live" socket, thus reversing the polarity. If you follow.
However,when we moved to France I was surprised to find that polarity doesn't seem to be an issue. It's quite normal to find adaptors that reverse the polarity of one or more of their sockets. Furthermore, you can get twin gang wall sockets with one of them reversed. They're a reputable make & carry all the usual European approval marks.
Sorry if I've strayed OT a bit I got carried away!
Cheers de Pete