UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2007, 7:32 am   #21
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Whats your favourite LES L JOHNS story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P
I don't know who's got the copyright on his tales now. How would we find out? I could ask Chas E. Miller when I next see him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANS ANITAS View Post
A book with a reprint of his articles would find a purchaser here
ALAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
That's a great idea, Alan. I wonder who could organise that?
I wonder if JAR (John Reddihough - Television editor at that time) would know about the copyright?
Old 5th Sep 2007, 10:22 am   #22
Aerodyne
Octode

I'm sure Les also contributed to the 1950s 'servicing Radio Receivers' series in Practical Wireless, along with Gordon King. Or is my memory once again at fault?
-Tony
Old 5th Sep 2007, 11:48 am   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I wonder how many of us on seeing that picture thought 'That's not Uncle Les!!'? Like a character on the radio we all had our ideas of what he looked like.
I remember one article where he was carrying a set and was hit where it hurt by the customer's gate that was on a spring. 'Now I know what they mean by 'gated pulses'', he wrote....
I know others have tried to combine humour and the job (myslf included) but no-one comes close...
Glyn
Old 5th Sep 2007, 2:33 pm   #24
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Unfortunately I don't have many Television mags but it would be nice to read all these stories in book form one day. I did find this classic from December 1978 this morning about a "Mr Farqueue" and a Peacock, which made me . The first part of the story is attached .

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peacock.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	12073  

Last edited by mickjjo; 5th Sep 2007 at 2:57 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 3:24 pm   #25
Steve_P
Dekatron

I wonder if 'Honey Bunch' (or HB) is still around?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 5th Sep 2007, 5:28 pm   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
Unfortunately I don't have many Television mags but it would be nice to read all these stories in book form one day. I did find this classic from December 1978 this morning about a "Mr Farqueue" and a Peacock, which made me . The first part of the story is attached .

Regards, Mick.
That's excellent! I would love to see more of his work.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Sep 2007, 5:32 pm   #27
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
I wonder if JAR (John Reddihough - Television editor at that time) would know about the copyright?
It would be useful to find out. I would guess either the publications he wrote for or his family would hold the copyright. If it's his family then they may be pleased and even honoured to see his work republished (and of course happy to receive any royalties).

Paul Stenning
Old 5th Sep 2007, 6:04 pm   #28
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
I wonder if 'Honey Bunch' (or HB) is still around?
So do I. Did he ever mention having children in his writing?

I wonder whether this lady is some relation? Based in Margate, which isn't a million miles from Gravesend http://tapcatz-ladytappers.blogspot.com/
Old 5th Sep 2007, 6:55 pm   #29
Big jim
Tetrode

Some more work from the great man.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 6:57 pm   #30
Big jim
Tetrode

one day i will get it right
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TRIPLE TROUBLE.pdf (132.7 KB, 233 views)
Old 5th Sep 2007, 7:08 pm   #31
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big jim View Post
Some more work from the great man.
Thanks Jim.

1990... Must be one of the last things he got published. An interesting read, but lacking the magic and sparkle of some of his stuff from a decade or two earlier
Old 5th Sep 2007, 8:51 pm   #32
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Thanks Jim.

1990... Must be one of the last things he got published. An interesting read, but lacking the magic and sparkle of some of his stuff from a decade or two earlier
I agree Nick - I used to take Television in my jumble sale set repairing days (mid- late 70s) . From the piece it looks like he is operating as a "Hobby Business" in retirement.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 10:01 pm   #33
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus 3500 View Post
They are all fantastic reading but my top 6 are......

1 Mr nasty and is brc3000
2 Beardy and none Beardy the missing volume control
3 The big ginger tom cat
4 Grace and Sid duff tube
5 Smoking Philips G8 in a pub in the middle of nowhere
6 A visit to the cinema tit and bum
Marcus,
Could you scan and post one of these, just to show everyone what he was like back in the good old days, when he was in his prime?
Old 5th Sep 2007, 10:27 pm   #34
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

Ive got one of LLJ's books, published by Newnes, I caught the bug of valve radios from that one.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 10:39 pm   #35
Paul Stenning
Administrator

His Radio Repair Questions and Answers book is available from my website here http://www.vintage-radio.info/docs/index.htm (third item down, cookies must be enabled for the download to work).

Paul Stenning
Old 6th Sep 2007, 5:29 pm   #36
Big jim
Tetrode

Not a story but a tv servicing article

jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LLJ 1959.pdf (1.45 MB, 170 views)
Old 6th Sep 2007, 10:21 pm   #37
marcus 3500
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Whats your favourite LES L JOHNS story

Hi all

I guess LLJ WOULD BE PLEASED he is still very much thought of, and sadly HE is missing from this fantastic forum.

Sorry Nick i dont have any way of scanning them but im going to type out August 1981 A visit to Mr Nasty.

I thought i was selfish till the other day. I can now tell you that you and i are absolute angels, full of consideration and compassion for our wives and families, who should think far more of us than they do. Our wives should treasure us indeed. But for the wheels of fate, they too could be married to a chap like MR NASTY.

I called at his house because he couldn't possibly bring his set in. In fact he had to be taken everywhere by relatives in their cars, because he had difficulty walking.Except to the pub and back,which didn't seem to be any effort at all to him. As a matter of fact he was down the pub when i called, and is wife seemed very agitated.

Do you think you could repair the set before he gets back? otherwise he'll say he doesn't want it done and can make do with the little portable, which he wont let me watch.He says there's only room for him to watch it, but i can listen if i sit back out of the way.

I listened to this affront to the rights of women with some doubt, but agreed to hurry up if i could. She dashed off to the kitchen saying that she had to put the oven up high again because he wouldn't eat his dinner unless it was piping hot.

I took the back off the set it was a thorn 3000 with a blank raster and faint sound. A quick check on the IF panel showed that all the IF transistors except the final one were functioning. I'd just finnished fitting a replacement when there were signs of MR NASTY'S approach. His wife became even more agitated and snatched is dinner from the oven.

A small man came in looked at the table for his dinner and then looked at me.

How much is that going to cost? because if it's too much don't bother-i'll watch my portable.

You haven't much option i told him. I've already done it and don't propose to undo it. The change was remarkable. Course not old chap. You've done it and want paying. Why not ?

At this he sat down at the table and surveyed his steak and kidney pie. Muuum he bawled, you can come cut the pie up now.

I coudn't believe it. His wife came back from the kitchen leant over and cut up the pie on his plate.

Well put some sauce on it then he commanded. And she did.

Good darts match we had he commented, dispelling any fears of mine that he'd had a stroke or something that stopped him using his hands. Oh yes nip next door and tell that bloke not to mow his lawn this afternoon. I want some sleep.

Can't seem to sleep properly at night he confided in me.

Perhaps it's because you sleep in the afternoon i said shortly. By now there was a fair picture on the 3000.

How much is that little job going to cost ? he asked his mouth full of hot pie and sauce. I quoted what i thought was a very reasonable figure (too reasonable to tell you) whereupon he stopped chewing and started to choke.

Recovering he told me he'd phone is son who would call round to the shop and pay me. At the same time his wife reappeared and continued the conversation about his inability to sleep at night.

He doesn't get his rest. Every hour he tells me to get up and open the window because he can't breathe properly, or close it because he's too cold.

It was all too much for me. I just had to rush home to tell Honey Bunch that Frankenstein's monster is alive and well.

Regards

Marcus..........

Last edited by marcus 3500; 6th Sep 2007 at 10:39 pm.
Old 7th Sep 2007, 12:29 am   #38
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:

A visit to Mr Nasty.
Classic
Old 7th Sep 2007, 8:37 am   #39
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:

....Beardy and none Beardy....
Here it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0047.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	12116

Click on the thumbnail and enjoy!
Old 7th Sep 2007, 9:51 am   #40
Studio263
Octode

Wasn't there a second part to this story with a colour set (possibly a BRC 9600)? "How much will you take off for the knob you broke?". Oddly Beardy and non-Beardy were not heard of again after this incident, maybe the axe was brought into play after all? We had a very similar character in our shop depressingly regularly, "it just needs a little bit of welding" he would say, normally about something horrid like a Sony KV-1810 or a Thorn "Movie Star" (the one with the Nordmende chassis in it).

Does anyone remember:

"Here lies the body of LL-J
Who'd twist and turn but couldn't get away"

I think he wanted this on his gravestone according to the story, I wonder if it happened?
Closed Thread