UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2017, 6:08 pm   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Hot air soldering/desoldering

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
I just remembered I also have a fairly meaty hot air gun here. It's a Stanley FATMAX model. I just dug out the box and it says it goes up to 600degC on the outside of the box. However I've never opened the box and used it so I can't say how well it works. I got it as a free (long service) gift at work a year or two ago along with a new Dremel 4000. Still never used that either!

The hot air gun will be great for lighting barbecues without any contamination from lighter fluid or the like.

The Dremel will eventually come into its own- it's very useful for things that otherwise need time and patience with a file and chisel like making existing lock plates fit new locks on doors!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Oct 2017, 10:52 am   #22
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

A famous name makes one of these where they thoughtfully gave the wand a black conductive outer tube, presumably in the interest of being ESD safe.

Such a pity they omitted to connect it to earth. Sits at about 55V anytime the unit is connected to mains. I noticed it because it was "creepy" to touch.

They achieved the reverse of what I suppose they intended.
Old 29th Oct 2017, 11:17 am   #23
MrBungle
Dekatron

That doesn’t surprise me. My thinkpad sits at around 90v on the chassis!
Closed Thread