UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2016, 4:12 pm   #41
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Beware of fake cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjoll View Post
I don't know how you guys survive without tapon plugs
4-way extension leads plugged into every socket, with more 4-way extension leads plugged into them.

At least the plugs "down under" are designed so you can't plug an earthed appliance into a non-earthed socket ...
Old 18th Mar 2016, 12:18 pm   #42
crackle
Rest in Peace

The more a cable proclaims to be professional like "Professional Guitar Cable" written down the length of the cable, then the poorer the quality.
Mike
Old 21st Mar 2016, 12:14 am   #43
Zelandeth
Heptode

Still remember I came across one of these fake mains leads a while back.

It expired one evening while I was fault finding a dead laptop power supply. Decided to start with the basics and make sure I had power at the end of the lead.

Idiot here had left the meter with the probes in the 10A range sockets last time he used it hadn't he?

Cue an almighty bang, bright purple plasma flash and the ring main breaker tripping, plunging us all into darkness as the overhead light wasn't switched on.

Once my ears had stopped ringing I investigated to find out what had survived.

Multimeter survived apparently unscathed (albeit the tips of the probes now slightly charred!), 5A mains fuse in the socket had survived, the cable itself however had been blown completely open.

Pretty sure if that had really been a 13A capable cable with 1.0mm CSA conductors as the printing on it claimed that the outcome would much more likely been a dead meter than a dead cable.

Learned two lessons that evening though: 1. Don't be an idiot and leave the meter probes plugged into the current sockets. 2. Just do a continuity check next time...still to this day haven't the foggiest idea why I didn't!

The most recent one came with an LED driver and had the classic half sheathed earth pin. I was able to break the pins off with my thumb dead easily, the cable itself had maybe four or five incredibly fine wires in each conductor. No fuse either, despite the BS1362A etc printing...Suffice to say that went in the bin and one of my trusty old RS badged IEC cables was dragged out the "box o' mains leads" instead.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 9:37 pm   #44
Andrew B
Heptode

Default Re: Beware of fake mains cables.

Does this thread include *REALLY* cheap, poorly made cables of all types?

Andrew
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 9:49 pm   #45
Station X

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I think the discussion should be confined to mains cables which may present a safety hazard.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:21 pm   #46
ColinB
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
10A fuses are virtually never encountered in High Street shops frequented by the public, and I'd be amazed to see one fitted in such an extension lead.

It's odd Nick, we do have a quantity of these four way leads at work, wired with (if I recall correctly) 1.0mm flex and fitted with 10A fuses in their 13A plugs...

All are "as bought" from a major DIY chain, so haven't been 'butchered'.

I'll leave it to the reader to predict what is likely to happen if and when the fuse blows; although as they are mainly used for powering IT equipment, this is (fairly) unlikely.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:39 pm   #47
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
mains cables which may present a safety hazard.
Unfortunately most UK users think that a 13 amp plug should have a 13 amp fuse. I have a stock of 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 & 13 amp fuses most of which are 13 amp because they have been exchanged for a lower value to suit the equipment in use. Problem with the UK plug is the name, perhaps it should have been called UK plug and the general public may have understood the need to use the correct fuse.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:46 pm   #48
Station X

I have stacks of 13A fuses which I've removed from plugs where the appliance needed a lower fuse rating.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 11:18 pm   #49
Goodizzy
Pentode

As an American who owns a substantial amount of UK and Euro gear, this thread is interesting to me. We don't have fused mains plugs here, but the amount of UK valve kit I've received with 13A plugs is right on par with the concensus of this thread! Thankfully the fusing in this gear tends to be redundant enough to protect the transformers.
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 1:50 am   #50
AC/HL
Dekatron

I recall Woolworths selling plugs fitted with different fuses, and labelled as such, but I wouldn't be surprised if sales of the 13A ones dwarfed the others. Some plugs have a window through which you can see the fuse, but at the end of the day only the person who fits the plug/fuse can be blamed fitting for the wrong size. I've also got a growing collection of 13A fuses, I should dispose of them but...
Old 24th Mar 2016, 9:47 am   #51
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Like vidjoman and others, I have a load of 13A fuses acquired when replacing them with lower amperage fuses where this is desirable or neccesary. Most recently I've fitted a 1 Amp mains fuse in the 13A plug of a vintage record player, and labelled the plug accordingly.
Old 28th Mar 2016, 10:02 am   #52
IanBland
Hexode

When I was a child in the 70s, the appropriate "flex" for a table lamp consisted of twin single sheathed bell wire, because the Earth wire is a waste of money, and a 13A fuse in the plug. Don't bother tightening the cable grip, it won't grip the bell wire anyway.
Old 28th Mar 2016, 4:35 pm   #53
Sideband
Dekatron

As a little example of fake fuses fitted to fake plugs etc. take a look at these three photos. One fuse is genuine, one is fake. These were actually removed from a fake plug from equipment that was the subject of a recall back in December at the test lab.

There is a clue in one of the photos.....

Who can spot the fake?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	js1024_SAM_0576.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	122042   Click image for larger version

Name:	js1024_SAM_0577.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	122043   Click image for larger version

Name:	js1024_SAM_0578.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	122044  
Old 28th Mar 2016, 5:07 pm   #54
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

In the first picture, the ASTA diamond mark appears to be incorrect. The cross bar of the T should not span fully across to the sides of the diamond. Unless of course this an earlier version of the ASTA mark.
For reference, the current mark appears in the following link:

http://www.intertek.com/marks/asta/diamond/

Regards
Symon.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind betting there's no sand in those fake fuses.

Last edited by Philips210; 28th Mar 2016 at 5:13 pm. Reason: Additional text added.
Old 28th Mar 2016, 5:12 pm   #55
AC/HL
Dekatron

Is there a whisker of fuse wire visible in the top one?
Old 28th Mar 2016, 5:20 pm   #56
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Is there a whisker of fuse wire visible in the top one?
I noticed that too (LH cap) plus the top one looks to be of a smaller size unless it's the photo angle.

Lawrence
Old 28th Mar 2016, 5:53 pm   #57
ms660
Dekatron

1st pic, top fuse, LH cap, is that a dirt mark or crimp indent?

Lawrence.
Old 28th Mar 2016, 6:51 pm   #58
Sideband
Dekatron

Well you got it! In fact there are three problems. You spotted the fusewire poking out of the end cap. Although I didn't open this one, there is probably no sand in it and thirdly, also spotted, it's slightly shorter than a genuine one. Too easy....If I come across any more, I'll make it more difficult.

However think of the average punter who doesn't have the benefit of our experience. It's likely they would never notice or even if they did, wouldn't associate it with a dodgy fuse.

There are also some that are not quite the right diameter so not only are they too short, they are also loose in the fittings.....

As for the ASTA mark, I'd need to check with the genuine article...in this case I didn't bother when I saw the fusewire.

These and others like them have the fusewire (if it is fusewire) simply crimped between the cap and the ceramic.

Lots of info here on dodgy plugs and leads

Last edited by Sideband; 28th Mar 2016 at 6:57 pm.
Old 28th Mar 2016, 7:44 pm   #59
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
However think of the average punter who doesn't have the benefit of our experience. It's likely they would never notice or even if they did, wouldn't associate it with a dodgy fuse.

I'd agree - that's all way to subtle for "Mr Average" to pick up on -

To be brutally honest I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have picked up on any bar the one with fuse wire poking out of it. What are the chances of noticing that a fuse is slightly shorter than the correct size on a casual glance ? If a fuse was slightly loose in a holder I may assume the holder had just become a bit tired and bend it in with some pliers.

This faking of safety critical components is an utter nightmare and the full weight of the Govt. should be brought to bear on it
Old 28th Mar 2016, 8:05 pm   #60
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm not sure if the 'fusewire end being visible' is necessarily a fail:

I can recall plenty of fuses in the 1970s where the fusible element was terminated by being crimped between the outer cap and a smaller-diameter brass ferrule on the ceramic barrel-part.

Even MK did this - though they generally soldered the fusible-element to the ferrule before crimping on the end-caps.

TBH I'm not really paranoid about such stuff: the fuse-in-the-plug is only there to protect the flex up to the appliance (which should have appropriately rated internal fusing); most other governances don't have fuses in plugs and we don't see them burning-down on a regular basis.

If your house burns-down because of a dodgy fuse, your lawyers can no doubt extract a horrendous penalty (so you never need to work again...) from the suppliers of said fuse, on a "no-win-no-fee" basis.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 28th Mar 2016 at 8:11 pm.
Closed Thread