UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2015, 7:39 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Amateur Radio Masts Neighbour Issues

Checking out the Bury Times from the south [as I do on occasion] the top story this week is "Mast narrowly misses boy's head"regarding a new one errected by a chap whose previous structure collapsed on the neighbours roof in 2012. He didn't get planning permission for the current one but had expert representation during what seemed to be a retrospective application. Surprisingly [it's Bury] the mast was allowed to stay. A question about it's future safety elicited the response that Ofcom was responsible for this aspect Sorry can't do the link.

Not strictly vintage perhaps but certainly related to other discussions on this subject here. I hope this is the right section. Someone offered some 60' masts recently in the context of a thread but I suppose "sets and parts" wouldn't be the right place for them!

Dave W
Old 7th Sep 2015, 7:53 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Amateur Radio Masts Neighbour Issues

My planning was retrospect also and I used the RSGB advice (copied and pasted) on the application form. Succesfully I add.

Of course common sense should apply before putting up.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 8:21 pm   #3
paulsherwin

It goes without saying that if your mast collapses onto someone else's property and causes damage or worse, you will certainly be liable for the costs and possibly be held criminally negligent. Ordinary household insurance may not cover this sort of thing.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 8:38 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

The previous mast had been there since 87. If there had been a fatality I suppose the accident investigation process would have been set in motion but does Ofcom really have a responsibility ongoing I would imagine that the safety record re amateurs area must be pretty good overall, by comparison with commercial activity. Emerley Moor wasn't a good moment!
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 7th Sep 2015 at 8:47 pm.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 10:18 pm   #5
Junk Box Nick
Octode

There used to be a mast insurance scheme available through or in association with the RSGB.
Old 8th Sep 2015, 7:41 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Here's a link: http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/1365...ement_to_stay/
Old 8th Sep 2015, 9:42 am   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I am very surprised that a commercial mast collasped IF installed correctly.