UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2015, 2:40 pm   #1
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Default Eddystone 888A with different panel switches

I wonder if I can get some help on a minor issue. I recently acquired an Eddystone 888A, Serial number LM0523 which, as I believe they only made a total of around 550 x 888/888A's between 1957-61, makes it one of the very last to be manufactured in December 1961. Externally it looks much the same as any other 888A but the curious thing is that the six control switches on the front panel all have bright zinc plated toggle switches with hexagonal fixing nuts and one inch long black plastic handles. I have had two previous much earlier 888A's and the switches had short ball ended metal handles with those annoying difficult to remove round serrated switch nuts. What I would like to know is whether anyone knows whether these switches could be original equipment or not.
regards, pete
Old 6th Sep 2015, 3:13 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: Eddystone 888A with different panel switches

Hello Pete

a quick look at the front of the 888A manual reveals what looks like toggles with black plastic ends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	888A.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	112694  
Old 6th Sep 2015, 5:41 pm   #3
G4BZI Roger
Pentode

Hi Pete,

I have an 888A serial number LM0549 - it has the black plastic ended switches as you describe so they must be a standard part.

Perhaps Eddystone switched (forgive pun) suppliers/types at some time during the course of production.

Roger
Old 6th Sep 2015, 6:31 pm   #4
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Many thanks guys. The set was said by the previous owner to have been held from new. I still need to find time time to take a look under the bonnet but at least this gives me some confidence that externally it hasn't been fiddled with. It's typical that I didn't think to look at the manual - my mrs always says that this would be the last resort for me. My previous 888A was a August 1960 build and that had the long send switch handle but all handles were the older metal type so the change must have occured some time later. I might be back here once I've taken the case off for a look inside but thanks for now. rgds, pete
Old 6th Sep 2015, 10:35 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Eddystone 888A with different panel switches

Ref. post #2. Earlier models have the traditional chrome toggle switches. The Eddystone name badge above the tuning dial is slightly different to the one fitted on the earlier 888A model too. I'm not aware of any significant changes 'under the hood', but knowing Eddystone, there may well be some. An experienced & knowledgeable pair of eyes should readily detect any such changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalpete View Post
It's typical that I didn't think to look at the manual - my Mrs. always says that this would be the last resort for me.
In that regard, you are certainly not alone! The well-worn phrase "If all else fails, RTFM!" readily springs to mind.

Al.
Closed Thread