UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Aug 2020, 5:25 am   #1
3rdworlder
Triode

Default Anybody knowledgeable with mid 70's Victor turntables?

Hi everyone,

I'm basically trying to find correct information on how to set properly the tonearm of my Victor turntable from 1976. I don't have the manual, and it can't be found anywhere.

I thought maybe someone with experience with these type of turntables would be able to help.

I want to use a Stanton 680EL cartridge and remove the original Z-1s, and I'd like to be sure about the process.

Anybody has any info? This is a 1976 VĂ­ctor JL-B37.

http://knisi2001.web.fc2.com/jl-b37r-arm.jpg

You all have a good Tuesday!
Old 4th Aug 2020, 7:50 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Anybody knowledgeable with mid 70's Victor turntables?

Try looking for JVC Japan Victor Company. There is a JL-B31 listed there.

You dont need the manual, Unscrew the collar (1), remove the headshell by pulling in the direction of the arrow.

Remove the original cartridge taking care with the fine wires. Fit the wires onto the new cartridge, taking noite of where each should go (not necessarily in the same position) and fit the cartridge to the headshell. Now fit the headshell to the arm and screw in the collar.

Set the balance of the arm and thus the tracking weight by rotating the counterweight 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jl-b37r-arm.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	212615  

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 4th Aug 2020, 10:15 am   #3
Mark_RR
Tetrode

Don't forget you will also need to align the cartridge in the headshell to minimise distortion. This requires an alignment protractor, which can be downloaded from sites like vinyl engine and printed out.
Old 4th Aug 2020, 10:59 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

It is usual for the fine wires in the headshell to have little clips soldered to their ends. These clips then push onto the pins of the cartridge. The idea is to avoid soldering to the cartridge, because the heat can damage the cartridge (melt plastic, unsolder the internal wires etc.)

So if there is a cartridge already fitted and you want to change it, gently remove the clips, noting which wire went where. You'll need the clips for a new cartridge.

Never solder directly to a cartridge. It's a very expensive mistake.

David
Old 4th Aug 2020, 11:58 am   #5
barretter
Heptode

Presumably this a standard SME-type headshell so the wires will be colour-coded. The Stanton 680 is also colour coded on the back, so just attach the red wire to the red pin, the blue to the blue, the green to the green and the white to the white.
Old 5th Aug 2020, 7:13 am   #6
3rdworlder
Triode

Thank you guys for the excellent replies. There is almost zero information about this specific turntable on the net, but I still managed to locate the service manual for the b34 model. Although the B37 doesn't share its tonearm with any other Victor turntable, this is almost the same except for the anti-skating control. So now I have something to use as a reference.

I'm surprised there is absolutely no information whatsoever on vinylengine on the Victor JL-B37, yet they have stuff for all of the other Victor turntables. Perhaps this one was just sold in Japan? I've checked and this turntable shares NOTHING with the other record players of that brand.

Tonight I'm going to change the cartridge and check which one is better to my ears, the Z-1s or the Stanton.

You all have a good Wednesday!
Old 5th Aug 2020, 9:35 am   #7
Whaam68
Hexode

There is a very friendly "vintage" JVC brand specific group on facebook "vintage jvc stereo equipment" that might also be worth a look for specific info from other owners.
regards
Mike
Old 5th Aug 2020, 11:47 pm   #8
3rdworlder
Triode

Well, I've changed the cartridge. Cables and colors were exactly the same, so changing it was pretty clean and straightforward.

I believe the Z-1s has more definition, but I presume that's because it's got a new stylus. I'll keep the Stanton working, and hopefully I'll be able to find an original stylus replacement for it sometime later. There are so many counterfeit replacements out there I really have no idea where can I find a good one.

But anyway, I am now smiling and very happy using the Victor turntable as I write this. Thank you everyone for the help and information here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaam68 View Post
There is a very friendly "vintage" JVC brand specific group on facebook "vintage jvc stereo equipment" that might also be worth a look for specific info from other owners.
regards
Mike
Thanks for the idea Mike. It will be good to check it.
Closed Thread