UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2020, 1:55 pm   #41
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Your TV collection...

That's a great collection, Steve. What a novel idea though to store the chassis' in their own individual cabinets! Must make moving them around so much easier! I've never managed to achieve that with any of my sets- they always seem to need something else doing to them before they are ready to be put back in their boxes!

Another really nice looking Sobell- very GEC like. What's the model number? I guess it's slightly later than the 1000 but probably uses much the same chassis.

A very neat & tidy design- is that really a knob that is stuck down there next to the other two controls? Looks very out of place!

Thanks for sharing the pictures

Cheers
Nick
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 8:02 pm   #42
Colourstar
Octode

Hi Nick

I'm afraid I don't know the model number of the Sobell as like a lot of GEC/Sobell sets the foil label has long departed the back cover. Although still quite a looker, my example is actually a bit of a dog, having had the system switch soldered up for 625-only operation. There are various non-original wires floating around the dropper too. The on/off control failed at some point, so a previous repairer drilled the front panel to fit a rotary switch salvaged from a BRC set. Not pretty and of course there's a hole right through the trim. Also I suspect the crt is non-original, being a later type with internal protection. Originally I think it would have had a crt with feinbridge guard (perforated plastic), as all the GEC models in this series seem to have that arrangement.

Despite all this the set does power up and produce something on screen although it'll need a thorough going over.

Steve
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 11:21 pm   #43
slidertogrid
Octode

You have some nice sets there Steve. I really like the Sobell and the Ultra. I had sets just like them back when I was at school. As you say the Sobell has the later GEC D/S chassis same as the 'blue front'. I have a 23" blue front GEC which took years to find and a 19" Sobell version which has the same design cabinet but with a grey front.
I have been 'playing tellies' today... Can anyone identify the film playing on the Dynatron?
Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_160021.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	212610   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_133306.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	212611   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_133254.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	212612  
Old 4th Aug 2020, 9:17 am   #44
1100 man
Octode

Ah, the proper IBA CH4 test card!! My personal favourite TC as CH4 started when I was at school and so provided hours of TC for me to use!

I found it much better for setting up picture geometry & linearity than TCF with it's circle. It also has a nice look about it!

That looks like it is from a video recording judging by the general crud at the top of the picture? I still use my VHS tape recorded in the '80's on a 3V16- it is very noisy now though as it's been played many hundreds of times!

Nice 2K! looks like it's just been delivered from the factory!

Cheers
Nick
Old 4th Aug 2020, 9:25 am   #45
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post

I'm afraid I don't know the model number of the Sobell as like a lot of GEC/Sobell sets the foil label has long departed the back cover.
Hi Steve,

The nearest I can get is that your Sobell is a 1010, 1013, or 1014. If that's so it is a hybrid, having a transistor UHF tuner & IF stages. The picture on the service manual I found on line for the GEC version looks almost identical. Be interesting to know what tube type has been fitted to yours.

Cheers
Nick
Old 4th Aug 2020, 11:04 am   #46
slidertogrid
Octode

Hi Nick
Yes, it's an old VHS recording of the CH4 test card. The black and white film shown on the Dynatron was 'a late night double feature picture show' Followed by the test card with wake 'em up tone!
The camera has blanked off the bottom of the picture it tends to have a strobe effect when trying to photograph pictures off screen.
I was really lucky finding the HMV 2000 it came from a closed school where it was found locked away in a cabinet It must have been there years. Luckily when the builders arrived to strip the building and convert it they found the set and put it on ebay. they couldn't believe how much it had sold for, they thought someone would buy it for the cabinet and expected it to go for a few quid. they thought the cabinet was too nice to put in the skip...
They looked at me as if I was a bit mad when I said I was going to restore it and use it...
By coincidence the Dynatron was also bought from builders who had found it when renovating a building. Unfortunately that hadn't been quite so well cared for, it was incomplete and had many marks and scratches. It looks as if someone had played a game of noughts and crossed on the side...
The tube in the Sobell would probably be an A59-120W my GEC has a direct vision rim-guard tube but it's the earlier version with the thicker rimband like the early 11X colour tubes so probably an A59-11W?
These sets were still in production when the rimband tubes were out. I used to have another GEC with the same chassis that had a unprotected tube with a Fenbridge guard. It looks as if the production extended over a few years during which time different tubes were used as the technology advanced. I suppose it's possible to replace a tube that been previously fitted with a Fenbridge guard with a protected type but it would depend on the mounting points being the same for the rimband lugs …
Is the Sobell a late model? The last sets I believe had a partly transistorised signal board with only a PFL200 and PCL86 if it's one of these it could be that the tube is original?
Old 4th Aug 2020, 5:45 pm   #47
slidertogrid
Octode

A picture of my grey front Sobell. If anyone can help with a replacement for the missing tuning knob it would be greatly appreciated... I will put a wanted post in the appropriate section.
The set is a little grubby as it came out of long term storage and went straight into my spare room. All of the sets are in my awaiting attention pile apart from the CO-OP Defiant which works well with an excellent tube and a good LOPT!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200804_145136.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	212661   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200804_145143.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	212662   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200804_145216.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	212663   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200804_145253.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	212664   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200804_145158.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	212665  

Old 4th Aug 2020, 8:12 pm   #48
Colourstar
Octode

Hi Rich

Another great mini-collection! Looks like your Bush TV135 is the same as mine, with the dummy UHF tuner. The Co-Op/Defiant set is interesting- I had the same model some years ago although it was the 4-button single standard version. It definitely wasn't an A774 so must have been the stop-gap stripped down A640 chassis. I liked the way the speaker on the left and controls on the right is a bit of a design nod to the earlier Bush TV125/135.

I'll have a look inside my Sobell to see what crt is fitted and how 'hybrid' the set actually is. I'll also keep an eye out for a spare tuner knob for yours.

Steve
Old 5th Aug 2020, 7:48 pm   #49
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Ref to post #37
1. KB UF80FM Majestic - 23" 405-only console with FM radio

Hi Steve,
your KB UF80 might possibly have the connector strips for conversion to dual standard operation. The KB UV30 "President" had that facility.
UF80 and UV30 TV sets were made in 1962.

Must take a look at that 24" KB "Regina" sometime.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KB_UV30.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	212785   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB_PV100.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	212786  
Old 5th Aug 2020, 10:51 pm   #50
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
And the next lot:
3. Stella (Philips) Style 70
I have an unusual Philips Style 70 in my collection complete with clock... Why you need a clock to turn the set on I don't know! the warm up time isn't that long!
Only Philips!
Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200804_145229.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	212795  
Old 6th Aug 2020, 9:11 am   #51
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Why you need a clock to turn the set on I don't know!
Maybe to remind you that your favourite programme is about to start so that you can drop whatever you are currently engrossed in?
Old 6th Aug 2020, 1:54 pm   #52
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Must take a look at that 24" KB "Regina" sometime.

DFWB.
Hi there David- crikey now that is a monster! Who made the crt? Is it a Sylvania? What an interesting set that will be to revive. They must have mostly sold to hotels etc. No connecting strips in my UF80- but a hoofing big chassis (pic attached). I'm expecting good things of this set, with it's FM radio and 8 inch speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I have an unusual Philips Style 70 in my collection complete with clock... Why you need a clock to turn the set on I don't know! the warm up time isn't that long!
Only Philips!
Rich
Hi Rich, really good to see one of those again. I used to have that model years ago but the LOPT failed. I also wondered what the benefit of the timer facility could possibly be! There was a mid-60s 11" bedroom set called the RGD Night Owl, which I suppose was based on the KB portable of the time. That also included a clock- the same unit as used in the Style 70 I believe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KB innards.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	212829  

Last edited by Colourstar; 6th Aug 2020 at 2:03 pm.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 3:23 pm   #53
slidertogrid
Octode

That looks like a very well made chassis well thought out with the dropper at the top . I can see how it evolved into the VC1 series of hand wired sets. They were the first KB sets I got from the local telly shop when I was a lad.
They rarely had much wrong with them very well made sets that lasted well beyond the expected lifespan.

Yes I suppose the idea was timer could be set to remind you of a programme starting, all good until the day you forget it's set and go out leaving a valve telly to come on unattended...

I have been lucky so far with both of my Style 70s in so much as the LOPTs have held up so far ( He says touching wood) The other set which is in my pictures of the sets in the workshop is the model I remember seeing a lot of years ago. that set belonged to a friends girlfriend years ago . I think she watched a lot of telly as the tube is a replacement and it's fairly cooked around the frame output valve . The damaged panel has been cut away and a tidy patch repair carried out before I got the set.
I managed to get a replacement panel from Neil in Wales but so far the repair has held up which is a good job as I can't find where I safely stored the replacement!
Old 6th Aug 2020, 3:50 pm   #54
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Night Owl as the name suggests was a bedroom receiver and could be set to FM radio or TV to wake you up in the morning..I sold around five of them. The VC1 was released around five years earlier evolving into the VC4. The Night Owl and was based on a 'folded up' VC4 . John.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 5:00 pm   #55
patrickgnl
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The Night Owl as the name suggests was a bedroom receiver and could be set to FM radio or TV to wake you up in the morning..I sold around five of them. The VC1 was released around five years earlier evolving into the VC4. The Night Owl and was based on a 'folded up' VC4 . John.
Fascinating that Philips made a TV that you could wake up to in the morning. Aren't i right in thinking breakfast TV didn't start until the 1980s? Wake up to a test card. hmmm!
Old 6th Aug 2020, 7:41 pm   #56
AC/HL
Dekatron

Lots of people worked nights or shifts.
Old 6th Aug 2020, 11:08 pm   #57
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I don't think the Philips Style 70 with the clock/timer was intended as a bedroom receiver.
I think the idea was to set it to turn on at a time when your programme was about to start. Complete madness as most owners turned the TV on for the test card and switched it off after the Queen. Without doubt a sales gimmick. J.
Old 7th Aug 2020, 10:34 am   #58
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Colourstar wrote: "Hi there David- crikey now that is a monster! Who made the crt? Is it a Sylvania? What an interesting set that will be to revive. They must have mostly sold to hotels etc. No connecting strips in my UF80- but a hoofing big chassis (pic attached). I'm expecting good things of this set, with it's FM radio and 8 inch speaker."
Hi Steve,
The 24" CRT in that huge set is a Brimar C24KM. The tube is an import with the word "Foreign" printed on the octagonal label. The tube has a pentode gun and is most likely the magnetic focus MW61-80 made in a Continental works by either Philips, Telefunken or SEL.
The story goes that the set was owned by a wealthy American family who lived in Kent. The purpose made cabinet is very well constructed but finish on the surfaces could have been better.

DFWB.
Closed Thread