UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2020, 7:40 pm   #1
Dr-of-style
Triode

Default Master socket schematic

Could someone post a schematic for your MASTER, and EXTENSION sockets please?
I am not acquainted with your wiring scheme...yet!
Old 29th Jul 2020, 7:47 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Master socket schematic

This is how they're wired. The sockets are the same, but the master is the only one with the ringing capacitor: http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm
Old 29th Jul 2020, 8:47 pm   #3
Dr-of-style
Triode

Thanks
Old 29th Jul 2020, 9:52 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I find the diagram in the telephonesuk link rather misleading, given that the capacitor in the master goes between terminals 2 and 3 of the socket - usually along with a resistor between 3 and 5 and a surge protector between 2 and 5. Terminals 1, 4 and 6 normally being unused. Bob Freshwater's page gives a clearer idea (the numbering marked jack 601a being that used for the plug (431a or 631a)).
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:14 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Simply put, the incoming line pair is routed across all telephone speech networks and dialling pulses (I'm talking 'traditional' telephones here).

All the bells on all the telephones are connected in parallel, via one series capacitor located in the master box. The return leg for the bells is the line opposite the one the capacitor leads from. The cap is 1u8 and is used to keep the d.c. loop off the bells. This third wire also shunts the bells when dialling so the others don't 'tinkle'.

In the old days all bells were wired in series through one capacitor located in one of up to six extensions.

Modern electronic telephones just use two wires with electronic signalling.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 12:11 am   #6
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Below is a diagram of a Master Socket.

The resistor is for testing purposes as it's possible for no 'phone to be connected when this is done.

Terminals 1 and 6 are rarely used and usually aren't even connected up, at least in houses.

Terminal 4 could be used for Earth but the only time that would be needed on a domestic line was if it was Shared Service, ie a Party Line. I don't know for sure but I'd doubt if there were many, if any, of those remaining by the time this type of plug and socket was introduced. The only other time an Earth would be needed was on private switchboards that used Earth Break Recall.

Just to really confuse things the corresponding plugs are numbered the other way, ie plug terminal 5 connects to socket terminal 2, 4 to 3, 3 to 4 and 2 to 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Master.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	212194  

Last edited by ThePillenwerfer; 30th Jul 2020 at 12:20 am.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 7:48 am   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePillenwerfer View Post
Terminals 1 and 6 are rarely used and usually aren't even connected up, at least in houses.
I found terms 1 and 6 very handy when I had my magneto / field telephones connected between living room, office and shed when the kids were little.

When I put the wiring in I put in three-pair cable and populated the lot.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 8:28 am   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Yes, it makes a useful pair for alternative purposes. In one instance where three-pair cabling had been used between the master (near the front door) and slave (in the upstairs office), we used the third pair for the door bell.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 9:34 am   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

According to the 'Phone Socket' manual, published when the system was introduced, the fifth and sixth wires 'will be used for other non-telephone facilities. The main advantage of installing six wire initially is that future telephone modifications or new systems can be introduced without extensive rewiring. All new telephones will have high-impedance ringing devices.'

Attached is (yet) another drawing of how the master / slaves are connected.

Incidentally... Reading through the booklet, under the section 'Ringing Device Arrangement', it says:- 'Low impedance telephones in the Trimphone range may be modified to high impedance by connecting a 3.3K resistor in series with its phone caller (ie: between T4 and T5).

Low impedance telephones in the 8700 series may be modified to high impedance by the substitution of a Bell 59D-1 unmounted for the existing low impedance bell coil'

Nothing about banging a 3.3k resistor in a telephone with 1000 Ohm bell movement! It was a replace-bell job: 4000 Ohm in, 1000 Ohm out. This publication was an official Installer guide when the Phone Socket scheme was introduced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone Socket Wiring System.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	212197  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 9:41 am   #10
Station X

You'll find the booklet here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.info/download.php?id=365

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Jul 2020, 9:53 am   #11
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
You'll find the booklet here:-
Thanks, Graham - useful to know!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread