UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Old 12th Jul 2020, 12:17 pm   #1
wibblethecat
Diode

Default Philips 22GF403

Hi,

I have a Philips 22GF403 playboy that is in need of some TLC. Certainly needs a new pot on the circuit board at the back of the machine (see picture) and its also playing too slowly (don't know whether that's related - the pot I think is related to the battery power?). Anyone able to help or is it beyond economic repair :-(

Thanks.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2344 copy.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	210819  
wibblethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2020, 9:01 pm   #2
unitelex
Pentode

Default Re: Philips 22GF403

Hi Welcome to the forum!

I am sure I can help repair this one.

I will send you a PM

Best Regards
Chris
unitelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2020, 8:31 pm   #3
wibblethecat
Diode

Just to say Chris (above) did a great job for me here. Cheers Chris!
wibblethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2020, 9:31 pm   #4
unitelex
Pentode

Thanks Jon, enjoy!

To close this thread off, and in case anyone else is repairing one of these...

Philips 22GF403 portable record player. Original complaint was a fault with the turntable speed and a visual evidence of overheating of a part in the speed controller circuit.

I found that the germanium based speed controller was actually still functional albeit had been stressed. Transistor still had good gain. The root cause was dried motor bearings. The motor was squealing and running slowly causing the speed controller to drive it harder. This resulted in overheating of an inductor.

The simple solution was to clean and lubricate the bearings of the motor and set up the speed to the correct RPM. Casing was cleaned in the process.

Best Regards
Chris
unitelex is offline   Reply With Quote