UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2012, 12:46 am   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1953 Bush DAC90A AC/DC mains 5 valve MW/LW compact table radio

Hello again,

And yet another Bush DAC90A restored, and as there have been lots of these in Success Stories I will be brief.

This has had all its tubular capacitors replaced, all out of spec resistors replaced, replacement secondhand mains dropper and output transformer fitted, a new UL41 output valve, wiring around the dropper replaced, two new dial bulbs, and a new mains lead made up with an original Bush plug. The chassis was cleaned in pure turpentine and the set was realigned.

The cabinet was cleaned, polished with Brasso and finished with several coats of beeswax polish.

It was well worth replacing all the out of spec resistors as the dial is much brighter than the other DAC90As in my collection. I like this early model the best as it has the yellow lettering on its dial and a brass loudspeaker grille.

Here's a short video of the set being tuned through the MW band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jCKNifKZDdo

Howard
Old 14th Aug 2012, 8:36 am   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: 1953 Bush DAC90A AC/DC mains 5 valve MW/LW compact table radio

Nice looking set there Howard. The swirly patterns on the bakelite are particularly attractive. Excellent job! I think I spy a Philips 470A in the background?

Rich.
Old 14th Aug 2012, 6:07 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
..... I think I spy a Philips 470A in the background?
Rich.
Hello Richard,

It is indeed a Philips 470A. The set directly behind and obscured by the Bush and currently in theatre is a 1957 Sobell 636WF AM/FM radio, totally original and works perfectly, this very set ....

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sobell_636wf.html

The Bush looks better in natural light, see below. The worst resistor that I found was the large carbon 10K ohm dropper resistor next to the dropper which had climbed to over 13k ohms, now replaced by an American wirewound. I know some restorers prefer to wire the mains lead directly into the chassis but I have kept my DAC90As complete with their original plugs.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush_dac90a_front 001.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	69759   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush_dac90a_chassis_top 001.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	69760   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush_dac90a_chassis_under 001.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	69761   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush_dac90a_before 001.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	69762  
Old 14th Aug 2012, 6:45 pm   #4
phasedout
Retired Dormant Member

Wow, a spot on job, it looks as good as new, well done....Alan.
Closed Thread