UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Nov 2010, 4:44 pm   #1
markhardy
Retired Dormant Member

Default why a neon bulb??

restoring a Sailor R109 at the mo, slow progress as this one was rough to say the least - all told, there was over 8 hours work just to get the knobs and the front panel off!

coming together lowly now, had the first crackles of life, (after replacing pots and brutally getting the changeover switches to work

so now getting at the tuning circuits and one thing that puzzles me, imeediately after the aerial socket there's a neon bulb (GL101). which is shot any way, the legs have corroded to dust so its no longer attached to anything

according to the schematics its a: H. Limited, Type 3L

Wondered why thats there? some sort of spark suppressor maybe? I'm guessing it can live without it for the time being?

http://ebgb.net/misc/r109-neon.png
Old 19th Nov 2010, 4:54 pm   #2
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: why a neon bulb??

You got it in one. The neon is used to discharge any high voltages on the aerial.

Al
Old 19th Nov 2010, 5:12 pm   #3
markhardy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: why a neon bulb??

blimey I guessed right! My brain was being forced into remember 'normal' circuit type stuff and it puzzled me.

it can lie without it for now, till I get the rest of it to play nice
Closed Thread