UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jul 2009, 1:53 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default Aurora problem

Hello all,

I've been experiencing a problem with my Aurora today. I've not used it for a few months and decided to hook it up to my TV24. I get the test card ok but it won't display anything else when I plug it into my freeview box.

Before I starting pulling it apart is there anything I should check, is there a fuse on the input?

Cheers

Dom
Old 17th Jul 2009, 2:01 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Aurora problem

If the test card is working then the Aurora is certainly 99% OK. It is just possible that the analogue decoder chip has failed but this is very unlikely. Or it's just possible that one of the handful of passives between the video input and the decoder chip has failed. Again unlikely.

Are you sure you are putting composite video into the input? Put a scope on it and check. It's possible you are putting one of RGB (which are without sync pulses) into the Aurora and this won't work at all.
Old 17th Jul 2009, 2:52 pm   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks Jeffrey,

I will double check the signal, though I set my Freeview box to output CVBS - it certainly works ok with my other stuff not much of which is capable of RGB working - it took me a while to find a freeview box with both composite out and a UHF modulator!

Dom
Old 17th Jul 2009, 3:37 pm   #4
tubesrule
Hexode

Hi Dom,
Since the test card is working, even some of the internals of the video decoder chip are functioning since it is used as the clock source for the entire unit. As Jeff pointed out, verify that you are supplying a good CVBS signal to the unit. (correct signal with syncs, PAL mode) If so, then it might be possible that the CVBS input to the decoder is damaged. It is extremely unlikely that any of the passives on the video input failed as its just a couple of R's, C's and an L.
Keep us informed on your progress in deducing the problem. This just may be the first verified failure of a unit.

Darryl
Old 17th Jul 2009, 4:11 pm   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

Will do - got visitors arriving in a couple of hours so don;t think that I'll be allowed to drag any test equipment into the living room....

Will track down and reply on monday

Dom
Old 17th Jul 2009, 5:06 pm   #6
dominicbeesley
Octode

My sincere apologies to both Jeffrey and Darryl, it turns out I was using a dodgy scart lead with a broken wire! I've now got everything back up and running as it should be!

Mod you may now close this thread!

Dom
Closed Thread