UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2016, 8:52 pm   #41
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Amateur Licence.

This 'noise cancelling speaker': I do not wish to sound pedantic, but I feel that that description is a bit misleading. It's not a 'speaker' as such: it's an audio processing unit (a DSP) with an analogue audio amplifier to drive the speaker which is contained in the unit's housing. On that basis, calling it an 'audio processor' seems a bit more apposite.
Anyway, I did play the You Tube video as presented here by Lawrence - and yes, this item's performance was impressive. One Q. arises, however: how effective would this little gizmo be at reducing the QRM generated by PLT?
Any ideas / experience, anyone?

Al.
Old 27th Jul 2016, 9:14 pm   #42
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: Amateur Licence.

The BHI units can be useful under some conditions but, on phone with severe QRM, the processing has to be turned up so much that the person sounds like they are talking underwater and blowing bubbles. This can make the intelligibility worse instead of better, and you might also suffer from an odd effect similar to what some people experience when they hear the sound of a knife being scraped across a plate.

Consequently it is essential that, rather than buying one on spec (or in hope), you trial it first with your own radio setup.

I don't know how good they are with the "clattering hooves" noise from BT's nasty power line computer interconnections, having only used them with amateur band radios.

I wouldn't buy one. I have a variety of analogue audio filters that I have acquired over the years and can usually render a signal intelligible with a combination of high pass and low pass (a lab standard 48dB/octave unit), plus a tunable peak/notch or preferably a fully parametric equaliser.

Last edited by m0cemdave; 27th Jul 2016 at 9:28 pm.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 12:19 am   #43
Radio Wrangler

I've got one of those speakers.... won as a prize at a rally!

What I don't have is, thank (insert name of preferred deity here), any PLT noise to try it out on. So I've never tried it out. One of those things sitting waiting for a reason.

David
Old 28th Jul 2016, 3:32 am   #44
Restoration73
Nonode

The presence of modern QRM is leading to a move to digital modes (e.g. Fusion) particularly on vhf/uhf, where analogue telephony has largely died out.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 10:56 am   #45
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Amateur Licence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
I don't know how good they are with the "clattering hooves" noise from BT's nasty power line computer interconnections, having only used them with amateur band radios.
I am aware that filters have been fitted in PLT hardware to reduce the QRM that falls into the Amateur Radio bands. However, such is the intensity of PLT QRM here, only moderately strong AmRad signals are 'readable' here. Outside of those bands (1 - 25 MHz, approx.), the racket is deafening.

Then there is non-PLT interference I have to live with. If I sit in my front garden with my portable FM/MW/LW Sony portable radio, reception of 198 kHz is totally out of the question, on account of the very high level of interference radiated by nearby overhead power lines.

Al.
Old 28th Jul 2016, 12:04 pm   #46
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I have terrible QRM from one neighbour but only in the afternoon and evening so I assume it's the large TV I can see in their sitting room. I know when they are on holiday as the QRM abates for a fortnight!

I am considering a stealthy transmitting antenna just above my roof and a Wellbrook Rx antenna at the far end of the garden. The alternative is to hide a vertical behind a tallish fir tree at the bottom of the garden. (I have no one at the rear of me so it would be fairly well hidden and I put in a copper wire mat ground when I relaid the lawn.)
Old 28th Jul 2016, 1:43 pm   #47
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Tempted to say stick a pin through the coax!No,I would not do that so possibly approach said person with a few ferrite cores for the mains lead etc and see if that would help.

Failing that the answer is to report through the correct channels.
Old 29th Jul 2016, 10:10 am   #48
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Iv'e seen that done.

Peter
Old 29th Jul 2016, 10:28 am   #49
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

The pin trick was done by reps when customers would not pay there tv rental when I worked at DER.
It raised a service call and of course the set needed to go in the workshop, not to be returned without payment of debt.

Apologies here for drifting o/topic.
Old 29th Jul 2016, 11:26 am   #50
G4YVM David
Heptode

I'd have thought drifting was fully appropriate for this forum.

D
Old 29th Jul 2016, 12:02 pm   #51
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Good point,not what we want though on our sets!
Old 29th Jul 2016, 4:00 pm   #52
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
I'd have thought drifting was fully appropriate for this forum.

D
I think you are confusing us with VRAT. I believe drifting is acceptable there, but it isn't here.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 29th Jul 2016, 4:45 pm   #53
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Well the OP has just moved to France!

Will be checking out what the situation is here in SW France.
I now have a rig, it needs repair etc.
Just cane across it today in the final move from our rented accommodation a few KM away.

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 31st Jul 2016, 10:18 am   #54
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
I think you are confusing us with VRAT. I believe drifting is acceptable there, but it isn't here.
I must tell my 1155

D
Old 31st Jul 2016, 10:45 am   #55
Wendymott
Octode

THe "Pin" trick was used locally in my day (1963 - 1970) in Ilkley but with care...we had a coaxial relay system... some of which had 56V AC on the coax to power far reaching valve amps (Teleng)..to tap the signal.. and Isolating tap was used... but on the isolated side it was ok to pin... especially if the subscriber was behind in payment.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 31st Jul 2016, 1:16 pm   #56
BottleMan
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Tempted to say stick a pin through the coax!No,I would not do that so possibly approach said person with a few ferrite cores for the mains lead etc and see if that would help.

Failing that the answer is to report through the correct channels.
OT? PLT QRM is radiated from the set, isn't it? If so, and if I remember from my odd days working with EMC, radiated frequencies below 30 MHz are not tested as part of the CE requirements. Please let me know if this is wrong and then I can go and sort out my neighbours that are swamping my Wellbrook aerial.
Graham
Old 31st Jul 2016, 2:29 pm   #57
AC/HL
Dekatron

This thread was started to discuss amateur licences, so it has drifted off topic. We've had many threads discussing the unfortunate situation nowadays regarding interference, but that's the reality in many places. Restoration has a point in post 44, if you can't beat them, join them!
Old 31st Jul 2016, 6:19 pm   #58
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Getting back to interference I believe it should be dealt with by the correct authorities not us who don't wish to having revert to other modes.
Old 31st Jul 2016, 11:00 pm   #59
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Agree this topic has gone all over the place - mostly harmless.

My problem (or beef), having such a license since 1978...

I used to have to pay for it and back then I would never have considered not renewing it.
Lately I wonder why I have it at all - except that what I build I can test.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 31st Jul 2016 at 11:06 pm. Reason: awkward use of the double negative!
Old 31st Jul 2016, 11:57 pm   #60
Top Cap
Octode

Shame the hobby has died so much, I tuned around 20/15 and 10 tonight - nothing.
Kids today just want to play with keyboards and the PC, none are interested in building anything unless it uses an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Analogue does not exist in their vocabulary and how I lust to hear someone on the HF bands talking about their latest RX or TX they are building. Not anymore, the Jap, now Chinese, Black Box reigns supreme. When I do get a QSO with someone it is like a contest contact, "You are 59 nice to work you bye" I fully agree with Jon G4MDC's comments and I also so much miss the AM diehards as we were called on 160m on Sunday morning :-( G4CNH