UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2005, 8:59 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 3 Hackers restored this week - including this Democrat

Hello,

I've been busy again after I acquired several radios in a job lot at a very reasonable price at the weekend. This included a beautiful Roberts R900, and three Hackers, a Hunter VHF, an Autocrat II and a Democrat. The first two were excellent so just needed a clean but the Democrat was rather more work.
I've had a black Democrat kicking around in my junk pile for ages, with an excellent grille and tuning scale, a slightly worn case but with battery damage bottom right inside. I did post an ad here for spares for it but noone had any so I acquired a second Democrat at the weekend with a scruffy grille and damaged tuning scale as a donor.
In fact the second one had the better case of the two so the first one became the donor. These are simple radios to take apart, the top main part of the chassis comes out after removal of the handle, and no soldered connections to worry about, push on connectors everywhere as usual in a Hacker radio. I decided to swap the grille and the tuning scale over from the first to the second radio. The tuning scale is simple to remove, pull off the knobs and unscrew the four securing screws and off it comes. The grille wasnt so simple to get at, requiring removal of the bottom audio board, the loudspeaker and then two triangular wooden corner braces. The six grille tabs are then accessible and then its a matter of straightening them and shoving the grille out from inside.
I reassembled the radio case, cleaned the wavechange switches and volume pot, connected two PP9s and shoved them in (what a tight fit !) and off she went. However not all was well, any movement of the radio caused loud buzzing noises and a quick investigation revealed that a metal cover behind the right hand battery was fouling two connections on the bottom of the volume pot. I fixed that and it was still noisy so I lifted the cover away from the front of the radio and it started to work OK. I think this latter problem was caused by me when I pushed in the PP9 battery, there simply isnt enough room in this Democrat to accomodate the right hand one and the left hand one was very tight as well and I had quite a struggle getting it out later.
Have PP9 batteries grown over the years .. the ones I used were Ever Ready Silvers. I think I shall have to get a pair of 6 AA battery holders for this Democrat cos PP9s just dont fit .....

After a good clean, this old Democrat came up very near to mint, and its a good sounding MW/LW radio as well despite a number of AF117s within ....

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	democrat11.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1807   Click image for larger version

Name:	democrat2.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1808  
Old 26th Oct 2005, 9:10 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: 3 Hackers restored this week - including this Democrat

Another triumph, Howard

I've had a tatty Democrat as my "garden" set for many years. The sound is amazing for a radio that must have been pretty much bottom of the Hacker range at the time, but the screen printing on the grille is fragile. Mine was so bad when I bought it that the only sensible thing to do was to clean it all off (10 secs work with a bit of Jif on a scourer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard
I think this latter problem was caused by me when I pushed in the PP9 battery, there simply isnt enough room in this Democrat to accomodate the right hand one and the left hand one was very tight as well and I had quite a struggle getting it out later.
The plastic-cased GP batteries I use (which I suspect are also re-badged as Ever Ready Silver Seals) are bigger than the metal-cased Ever-Readys that used to be so common. Fitting them into a Democrat is easy, but removing them again can be a real b****r. Sometimes, a lever is required. In fact, one has to be very careful not to damage the speaker cone or the ferrite rod in the process.

By the way, these plastic-cased batteries can be opened up very easily (e.g. by dropping them onto a concrete floor, as I discovered the other day) and the cells withdrawn, leaving a nice clean case and lid/terminals which can be re-united with a bit of superglue. An ideal way of making a cheap rechargable PP9 or a neat mains adaptor, maybe?

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 26th Oct 2005 at 9:18 pm.
Old 26th Oct 2005, 9:32 pm   #3
GJR 11L
Heptode

Nice job Howard! Another set of which I have an example too, in the olive green.

Re the PP9s; I have a Hacker Ranger that has an Eveready Silver PP9 fitted and I mean fitted! I should have pushed less forcefully when I put the thing in there as, a year down the line, I want to pop in a fresh battery. Can I shift the blessed thing? Can I ****!
Old 26th Oct 2005, 9:53 pm   #4
Andrew c
Tetrode

Hello all nice radio Howard the pp9 prroblem is a simple one when the battery run out simply drill 2 holes ine the case of the battery install 2 self tappers wrap some string round the screws and pull the battery out simple!!

Andy
Old 26th Oct 2005, 10:16 pm   #5
GJR 11L
Heptode

If only it were that simple, but the trouble is going to be pulling against the narrow edges of the set, the cabinet will deform before that technique works! I'll just have to try with the floor in place and brace the screw against the finger hole. Or flog the thing while the battery still works.
Old 27th Oct 2005, 10:35 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Thanks all,

I shall get a couple of 6 AA battery holders with PP9 fittings not just for the Democrat but for use with my other PP9 devouring radios as well. I can get Duracell AA batteries from Richer Sounds in Guildford very cheap, sometimes just £1 for 4 ! They do last well Duracells, I use them in my Roberts RT1 in a holder from Maplins and after several months occasional use theyre still showing a high charge on my tester

Howard
Closed Thread