UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Dec 2007, 9:19 pm   #1
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

Default Xtal Mic

Am looking for an Xtal Mic to use with my AM Tx, they don't seem to be available commercially any more, so..., does anyone have one to exchange for beer tokens??
Cheers and Happy New Year
Tim M0AFJ
Old 25th Dec 2007, 11:26 pm   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: Xtal Mic

They're OK, but if the sun gets to them, especially if your operating mobile, they die due to the heat causing the diaphragm cone to be unstuck from the quartz element. If you keep a look out on some of the auction sites you may see a Shure 201 come up ocassionally. These are ceramic and great for the high Z inputs of valve modulators and also more tolerant of heat.

Lost count of the number of crystal mikes that were killed off in both my shack and car, the 201 I bought 25 years ago still works fine with the valve TX I have.