UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2007, 7:57 pm   #1
RobinBirch
Hexode

Default More PCR Questions

Hi Everyone,
Well, I've started putting the PCR back together but have a problem. The EMER that I have is a little confusing and very light on circuit values.

What component values there are are numbered as for the PCR 2 but the PCR/PCR1 circuit is numbered differently. Also in putting it all back as a PCR (as it was built) means that I have to find the value of 2 resistors that have been removed from the set.

In PCR numbring (if you have the EMER to hand) they are R4 and R16. R16 is in the grid lead for the VT52 and R4 goes from that to earth. The non earth end of R4 has the signal fed from the earlier stage through a coupling capacitor.

In the 6V6 circuit of the PCR2 there are two equivalent resistors that, according to the circuit sheet have values of 2.2k for the grid lead resistor and 10k for R4.

Given that the valves are different in the two circuits (EL32 vs a 6V6G) are these values reasonable for the EL32 circuit.

Robin
Old 13th Dec 2007, 8:58 pm   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: More PCR Questions

OK, I've finally got mine open.

It doesn't seem to be like the Emer circuit at all.
The O/P valve grid is grounded by a 470K resistor, and the coupling capacitor is just joined to the grid directly.

I have to admit that there is some modification in this area but the grid resistor looks original and unmodified.

The coupling capacitor disappears under the screened box so I can't see what else is going on without gutting it some more.
Old 13th Dec 2007, 9:18 pm   #3
GMB
Dekatron

... and it looks like G1 is also joined to G3

That seems extraordinary but it looks original. The G1 connection (from top cap) comes through the chassis right by pin 5 (G3) and goes to it. The 470k resistor goes from there to ground.
Old 13th Dec 2007, 10:18 pm   #4
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

According to my data , R4 is 10K and R16 is 500k. for the PCR

R16 via screened cable is connecting grid of output valve to junction of R4 and C21 as you would expect. C21 is anode coupling from previous stage, R4 connected to this and then down to earth.

In the PCR2 diagram the R4 resistor designation ( 10K) is equivalent to the R16 designation in the PCR circuit. The R11 designation (2.2K) in the PCR2 circuit is equivalent to the R16 designation in the PCR circuit.

Last edited by MichaelR; 13th Dec 2007 at 10:26 pm. Reason: ADDING FURTHER INFORMATION
Old 13th Dec 2007, 10:23 pm   #5
Station X

My diagram for a PCR (PCR1) shows the coupling capacitor (C21) 0.005µF connected to earth via R4 (470K). the junction of C21 and R4 is connected to G1 of the VT52/EL32 via R16 (22K). The leads of R16 are screened.

No connection shown from G1 to G3. G3 is connected directly to earth.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th Dec 2007, 11:58 pm   #6
GMB
Dekatron

Sorry - I missed it - there is a 22k grid stopper mounted well hidden on the actual top-cap connector.

So G1 goes via 22k to G3, which is joined to the coupling capacitor and 470k to ground. This is the actuality, not a diagram.
Old 14th Dec 2007, 1:17 pm   #7
Station X

Strange that. Just about every suppressor grid I've ever seen has been taken either to the cathode or to earth. Still if that's how it's wired and it works......

Here's an extract from the circuit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCR3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	13984  

Old 14th Dec 2007, 2:52 pm   #8
RobinBirch
Hexode

Guys,
Thank you very much for this. I can go and get some resistors and wire this up.

StationX, MichaelR I guess from this you have some far better circuit diagrams and/or component lists than I do. Is there any chance of a scan?

Kind regards

Robin
Old 14th Dec 2007, 2:57 pm   #9
Station X

I scanned my PCR stuff a while back. Drop me a PM with your email address and it's yours.

Old 14th Dec 2007, 4:23 pm   #10
RobinBirch
Hexode

PM on its way.

Many thanks

Robin
Closed Thread