UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2019, 8:33 pm   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default B&O BeoCenter 2200 Does this sound like a capacitor problem?

Hi all.

Got a lovely BeoCenter 2200 as a secondary Hifi and because I liked the design for my B&O collection. It’s an immaculate example and when it runs it sounds really decent for what it is as an all in one unit.

I’ve only had it since Saturday it was bought from an eBay store and the guy came and dropped it off for me. Over the last few days it’s been great. However yesterday it starting doing something weird.

Normally you just press it on and P1 lights up on the control panel. After five seconds audio comes though and it plays. Yesterday the phono, tape, AM & FM lights all came on together and there was no sound. I have discovered that if you turn the volume to maximum you can just about hear it but very quiet.

Then I discovered if you leave it for about 30 to 40 minutes with the volume turned down the sound will come back for a few minutes perhaps 15 to 20 is most I’ve had before it goes again.

Not really sure what else it would be as the 2200 is a unit I’m not familiar with has anyone worked on them before? I know it’s not strictly a B&O as it uses a lot of Japanese parts, but when it worked it sounded very nice on the MCX35 Speakers.

For those unfamiliar here is a photo attached of my unit.

I am going to take the cover off tomorrow and just have a look inside to see if I can see anything visually wrong though I.e bulging caps. Or perhaps a poor solder joint or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C1D800F-BA73-40C9-ACB3-DA0DA6A1B4A2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	188665  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 20th Aug 2019 at 8:56 pm.
Old 20th Aug 2019, 9:34 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: B&O BeoCenter 2200 Does this sound like a capacitor problem?

That sounds like a bad connection somewhere, rather than a capacitor fault. .

Open the set up and have a good prod around with a plastic chopstick or something similar. If you can disturb it deliberately, it will be easier to find.
Old 21st Aug 2019, 3:46 am   #3
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default Re: B&O BeoCenter 2200 Does this sound like a capacitor problem?

Thanks for the insight. I've spoken to the seller and he has another 2200 available (he sells quite a bit of B&O gear) so going to go that route I think.
Closed Thread