UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2019, 4:47 pm   #1
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Quads in action, 1961

(I hope this is in the right section, please move it if not)

Spotted amongst the obituaries this morning, 6th picture down the page:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gal...fe-in-pictures
Old 17th Aug 2019, 5:35 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Quads in action, 1961

Thanks for that. I printed out a few photos including the Hi Fi one you flagged up! It's quite revealing. 1961 The Kingston Trio, Johnny Mathis? It's a long way from Easy Rider, "Born To Be Wild" and Hendrix playing If Six Was Nine at amazing volume in 1969. I went to see the film in Hull during the Winter of that year. The Cinema screening it on one side of the road had a huge queue outside [including us]. There was a Banner Advert for The Battle of Britain outside the Picture Palace on the other side but no-one there! Although that was not a great film and outdated in style by then, I felt a bit conflicted. Easy Rider [or at least the first half] was visually and sound wise extraordinary. Just listening to a contemporary sound track and not an Orchestral Score seemed amazing! The New Orleans second half fell apart a bit as the drugs had kicked in on the set by then. The part where this new engaging young actor [Jack Nicholson] gets murdered was shocking. They've just said on Radio 4 that it would have been an exploitative movie without that tragic scene as it was the heart of the film. It was the same when he played the lead in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. The whole audience walked out of the Odeon at Bury in complete silence at the end!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th Aug 2019 at 5:40 pm.
Closed Thread