UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2019, 10:44 pm   #1
johnny_prime
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig 9078 Speaker Connection

Hello

I have recently restored a Grundig 9078 USA.

Was wondering if anyone can help and let me know what kind of speaker connections these are on the back?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Loudspeaker connection.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	187809  
Old 4th Aug 2019, 5:45 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig 9078 Speaker Connection

If you mean what plug fits that socket, there were plugs used in continental Europe with 2 round pins to fit the socket contacts and either a round or flat unconnected pin between them. One reason for the unconnected pin was to prevent the plug being inserted in a mains wall socket (I am pretty sure it would fit otherwise, some manufacturers would 'park' the mains plug in, say the speaker socket for shipment).

Philips (and I guess others) had a convention where one type of unconnected pin was used on an input socket, the other on an output. I can't remember which was which but I can find out if anyone needs to know. Your socket has a central hole that would take either.

In any case, a pair of normal 4mm plugs will normally fit the active contact holes in said socket. Those are a lot easier to find than the odd European plug.
Old 4th Aug 2019, 4:50 pm   #3
johnny_prime
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Tony

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking that one was for left and the other for the right hand side speaker. I guess this is just one speaker. Also just referenced the instruction book and it says a speaker may be used meaning just one. :-P

I'll use some 4mm and see what happens and let you know.

Thank you!
Old 4th Aug 2019, 5:05 pm   #4
johnny_prime
Retired Dormant Member

Tony

It totally worked!

Thanks again!
Closed Thread