UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2021, 2:45 pm   #21
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Practical Electronics. Battery Valve Radio Power Supply.

@kalee Many thanks for that. The Aliexpress modules need active cooling when worked hard, so I need to think about best way to package, the module, a filter and the fan. I was thinking about making a box for them out of thin brass sheet.

B
Old 5th Dec 2021, 12:51 am   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

Here's the circuit diagram of the filter, and of the supply module itself.

As stated, it's not an optimum design: there are better ways to control the thing than twin 555's, comparators, and TL431 references. But it was designed around ubiquitous IC's rather than dedicated types.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8F32737-5CD6-4A05-A2D7-94FBB7261A91.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	247304   Click image for larger version

Name:	85858FB9-44DB-49BA-8D43-59A9884B1E43.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	247305  
Old 5th Dec 2021, 1:00 am   #23
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Oh, many thanks for that; filter design is well above my pay-grade .

B
Old 5th Dec 2021, 8:34 am   #24

Quote:
Because when used in parallel packs, either they have circuitry to prevent one or other of them being over discharged or they are very carefully matched.
. No, that is for series cells, parallel is easy.

Old 6th Dec 2021, 1:54 pm   #25
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

PE and Silicon Chip share a publisher, I think. My Capacitor Reformer board (very nice quality) that I bought from them to go along with their project write-up is labelled 'Silicon Chip', and the article had Jaycar links.
Old 6th Dec 2021, 4:16 pm   #26
Electronpusher0
Nonode

PE have a publishing deal with Silicon chip. They take Silicon chip articles and republish in the UK some 12 months after first publication in Australia. Unfortunately they do not change them in any way, hence the Jaycar links you refer to.
If you do not want to wait 12 months for the articles you can take a subscription for electronic copies with silicon chip.

Peter
Old 6th Dec 2021, 5:55 pm   #27
David G4EBT
Dekatron

It's rather a pity that the UK no longer has any electronics magazines with articles by UK writers using UK sourced components. Silicon Chip is a remarkable magazine with a strong highly technically qualified editorial team, which incidentally includes as a regular contributor, Dr Hugo Holden, who - as 'Argus 25' - was a valued member of this forum until January 2020, when he terminated his membership, which was a bolt from the blue. (His website, with many interesting projects, is here: https://www.worldphaco.com/ ).

Were it not for Silicon Chip articles, EPE would have been gone by now.

The last Silicon Chip/EPE project I built was a precision 10V Reference - quite a simple project, for which I was able to source components from the UK and to etch my own PCB.

Both Altronis and Jaycar in Oz supply components and full kits for Silicon Chip projects and there is a UK website for Jaycar with prices in GBP:

https://www.jaycar.co.uk/

They're air freighted of course, so delivery is fairly speedy, but it comes at a price, as do the kits, and though the goods may be below the UK HMRC Customs threshold, VAT will be due and unless they 'come in under the radar' the Post Office (or other carrier) will collect the 20% VAT, plus their collection charge.

Quote:

"Your order can be delivered to anywhere internationally via air freight. Delivery is calculated based on your cart dollar value. Products are dispatched from Australia, so local customs duty & taxes may apply. Please read this website for information on paying VAT and customs duty":

Delivery Charges:

Up to £99.99 £20
£100 - £199.99 £30
£200 - £499.99 £40
£500+ £50

End quote.

So, a kit costing say £25.00 GPB, will have £20 shipping, making £45, on which £9.00 VAT will be due, plus maybe £8.00 Post Office fee (more if it's another carrier) for collecting the VAT on behalf of HMRC. Total cost, £62. (Even if it slips through without VAT hassles, it will be £45.00).

Jaycar operates in more than 90 stores across Australia and New Zealand and there are over 170 independent businesses who are Jaycar Stockists. This is quite remarkable considering the logistics. (Perth is as far away from Sydney than I am from Damascus).

When I can find a copy of EPE to browse in WH Smith's, which isn't often these days, I glance through it, but find that most projects - even for simple applications - seem overly complex, invariably use PICs, and many obscure components which are difficult to source in the UK. That's not a criticism - it's just a fact of life, but for many - if not most projects - it makes it rather impracticable and uneconomic, unless it really is a special project for which no other options exist. That said, I haven't see the Silicon Chip battery PSU project in EPE, so maybe it's a simple project with easily sourced components, in which case I'd be agreeably surprised.

The editorial in December 2021 Silicon Chip is interesting ' Making Kits is Not Easy':

https://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue...is+not+easy%21

For anyone who might wish to build a simple battery powered 90V HT power supply for battery portables, Tony Thompson ('Aerodyne' on this forum, but sadly no longer active), designed one which featured in Radio Bygones, Spring 2017. It may have ben mentioned on the furm before, but I've attached a copy for interest. The pictures haven't come out well, but the text, circuit and PCB layout are clear enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery PSU.1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	247390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery PSU.2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	247391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery PSU.3.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	247392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery PSU.4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	247393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery PSU.5.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	247394  

Old 7th Dec 2021, 2:26 pm   #28
Aub
Nonode

I picked up PE but put it down again quickly when I saw the price.

Aub
Old 8th Dec 2021, 11:22 pm   #29
Restoration73
Nonode

There is a solid state valve psu in EPE December 2005.
Closed Thread