UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2018, 3:59 pm   #1
brightsparkey
Pentode

Question Trouble with Grundig scale lamp holders

I'm appealing to anyone who has a Grundig set of 1960's vintage who understands how the scale lamp holders are meant to be arranged.

I have a 4070U and it came with two non-original lamp holders floating inside the case - a result of someone's less than thorough previous attentions and the parcel company.

A video from the US of a chap with a similar radio revealed the front view of the chassis that showed the lamp holders - two white plastic holders with a clip that slides onto a pair of lugs on the back plate. I managed to find a pair of similar lamp holders for sale and ordered them. They were red from a different set, but looked identical to those in the video otherwise.

They fit nicely on the lugs. There is a slot in the holder and the lug has a crease that slides into an opening in the slot, so it looks like the right approach. However, the lamps are presented so far forward that they touch the casework before the chassis is in place. I tried round lamps instead of the usual pear shaped lamps and even they are too far forward.

Does anyone know how these lamps are meant to work? Are there variations in shape of the lamp holders of this type?

I could make another bodge with some arrangement of different types of holder, but I'd quite like to use the original holders if possible.

Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	162827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	162828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	162829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1475.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	162830  
Old 14th May 2018, 4:49 pm   #2
erikossu
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Trouble with Grundig scale lamp holders

Well, the bulb has to reach over the edge of the back plate to illuminate the scale. I would use these little bit off the lug/set back so the edge of the holder-glass of bulb will be at the edge on the plate. Maybe these will fall of this way is hard to tell.
Old 14th May 2018, 4:55 pm   #3
brightsparkey
Pentode

Yes if you slide them back they will fall off. Also they are in amongst the tuning cord so there isn't much room for manoeuver. In the pictures they have no lamp fitted, but are still close to the casework.
Old 14th May 2018, 10:55 pm   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

Looks about right to me - I've done several Grundig radios and the lamp holders all have fitted like that. I haven't done the same model but don't think anything would have changed in other models.
Old 17th May 2018, 1:56 pm   #5
brightsparkey
Pentode

A mystery then !

I've ordered some push fit lamps (I'll soon have every 7V 0.1A lamp ever made...) to see if the holders are meant for them instead - there is no actual thread in the plastic.

The only other possibility is that the case work panel is not in the right place - the front looks fine, so I'd be surprised, but you never can tell.

Time to scratch head and have a pint.. and hope for divine inspiration..

Kevin.
Old 17th May 2018, 6:44 pm   #6
vidjoman
Dekatron

You may find that the metal contact bit has a sort of thread on it and it is that bit that will hold the lamp in place, assuming the plastic hasn’t expanded. They are definitely the screw threads on all the bulbs that I have seen.
Closed Thread