UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2018, 11:14 am   #1
u28909z
Retired Dormant Member

Question Trixette Late 40's Record Player

I have a Trixette with EBC41, EL41, and EZ41 valves. I can't find a model number, it looks similar to A375 or A380, but these have a different valve from the EBC41.
On switch on it takes 30 seconds to warm up and then hums very loudly regardless of volume setting, though increasing the volume does subtly make the hum even harsher.
Any thoughts as to likely causes and advice as, while I am happy to replace components and am very aware of the hazards of these old amplifiers, I have a limited understanding of the electronics.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:37 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Trixette Late 40's Record Player

The most obvious suggestion (without the player in front of me) will be that the main reserviour/smoothing capacitor has failed. This is located in the middle of the chassis between 2 valves. It is liable to have a value of something like 32 uF + 32uF. You will probably find it easier to buy 2 seperate ones to wire in. Voltage needs to be 350V. If you can't get 32uF, go for 40uF which may, or may not, give even less hum. You say your model is late 1940s, is this the model with the Garrard 78 rpm deck? If a 3 speed it will be a later version.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:50 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Probably the main smoothing capacitor(s).

Likely to be in an aluminium can with values like 16-32uF at 250-350 volts or so.

A few good pictures of the amplifier from various angles will help to be more specific, if no-one else is familiar with the set.

There will probably be a few other capacitors that should be replaced to prevent further problems, too.

At least you know that the rectifier and output valves are working! (The others will likely be OK, too, it's usually Rs, Cs and the cartridge which cause electronics problems and gummed up grease can wreak havoc with deck operation.)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th May 2018, 8:53 pm   #4
u28909z
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the suggestions, the deck is an RC75A, so I assume this is 1950 or soon after.

I can post photos when I remove the amplifier, which looks fiddly as the turntable fouls the amplifier, and vice-versa.

What seems different about this player is that the Garrard is rigidly fixed to the motor board, ie no spring mountings, and this would appear to be as manufactured.

It does however seem to be a well made unit, the turntable is very clean and does function, although in need of two new belts (on order) and lubrication. The original Garrard cartridge also tests out as ok on a Garrard 72A I have feeding through Quad 33/303 amps.
Old 10th May 2018, 9:15 pm   #5
electrogram
Heptode

The trixettes have carrying handles so are presumably meant to be portable, but the rc72/75/80 don't have turntable retaining clips, so isn't there a possibility of the turntable falling off when tje player is carried ?
Old 10th May 2018, 10:01 pm   #6
u28909z
Retired Dormant Member

I haven't taken it apart yet so I don't know. There are the usual fixing screws in the centre of each side which are fitted through small holes (the size of the screw) in the cabinet motor board. These have a nut and a lock nut tightened up against a triangular washer which are holding the deck firmly in place.

I also have an RC65 and an RC72a which I acquired as separate turntables, and these both came with conical springs mounted on a metal plate which I screwed to the motor boards in home made plinths, with a large hole for the spring to fit through. The decks then have fixing screws which have adjustable nuts locking the screws to the springs to suspend, and hold the deck. The Trixette is not fitted like that which seems a bit strange.
Old 14th May 2018, 5:35 pm   #7
u28909z
Retired Dormant Member

I have now got the amplifier out of the box, and taken photos. It has 2 waxy capacitors, 0.01mfd 250v DC from transformer to motor casing, 0.01mfd 500v DC across the tone? control.
A metal cased electrolytic capacitor 25uf 12v DC from a valve, and the large Dubilier Drilitic 32-8-8 350 V DC.

Presumably these all need suitable replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trixette 11.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	162834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trixette 12.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	162835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trixette 13.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	162836  
Old 14th May 2018, 5:48 pm   #8
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It might be worth changing all of these as they all have critical functions. The 32+8+8 uf can't be directly replaced. You'll need to use up to 3 seperate caps. If they are of a slightly higher value, then that should be OK. You also need to change "that cap" - the one that feeds the grid of the EL41. It's value will be something like 0.01, 0.02 or 0.05 uf.
Old 14th May 2018, 8:46 pm   #9
u28909z
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Edward for your help, I have ordered up replacements, and will report back on success or otherwise.

Arthur
Old 14th May 2018, 10:06 pm   #10
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Trixette Late 40's Record Player

Hi,
Be careful if you need to remove the valves. They have a little glass 'pip' near the base that engages in a slot in the metal skirt. It'd dead easy to break these off and ruin the valve. Been there, done that!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 24th May 2018, 8:49 pm   #11
u28909z
Retired Dormant Member

I re-capped the amplifier yesterday, and tested the player today. Initially it functioned very well, with a crisp clear sound, and reasonable volume.

Great, I thought, and put a stack of eight 78s on which it played through fine, but after 20 minutes or so the sound became distorted, and weaker, eventually being very distorted like a badly tuned radio station.

I tried it again after an hour to cool down, but it is now distorted from switch on, so I am not sure what, if anything, I can do now to sort it.
Old 25th May 2018, 7:25 am   #12
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

You will need to make some voltage checks, especially to the HT line. Also, it might be that the EZ41 rectifier valve has failed after years of inactivity.
Old 30th May 2018, 7:31 pm   #13
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Could be the coupling capacitor AKA "that cap". (See the sticky about this) It may be worth doing a change of the wax capacitors if it uses them. If that is the case it's not a good idea to switch it on again till you investigate the cause as it may end up with more faults.
Alan.
Closed Thread