UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2016, 6:50 pm   #1
greenstar
Octode

Default Volts-Amps monitor

I'm a little embarrassed to share this, as it's pretty basic, but have found these extremely useful. I found myself keep needing to measure current and voltage from power supplies, and made up the first from cheap LED panel meters. It's great with a solar panel and charging batteries. It wasn't very sensitive and had limited range, so, realising you can get adequate multimeters for about £3.50, made up the second, which I use when reforming electrolytics. I really need to add a cover to keep my fingers clear when hooked up to HT. They save a lot of space on the bench.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110556enh.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	121659   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110559enh.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	121660  
Old 19th Mar 2016, 6:08 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Volts-Amps monitor

Neat idea, no need to be embarrassed, it's a solution to a problem, I might nick the idea. : ) Am still mucking about with separate meters, a similar small unit tucked away on the side of the bench would be handy.

Ta for sharing, Andy.
Old 19th Mar 2016, 11:35 am   #3
Dan Payne
Triode

Thanks for the post, this is a great idea for a limited space bench.
Cheers
Old 19th Mar 2016, 7:17 pm   #4
greenstar
Octode

Having made these up, I find myself using them using them almost constantly. The LED version is hooked up to my small solar panel (battery charging and low wattage back up power). The other one is going to be used soon with a voltage divider and eliminator to get the HT right for a battery radio. Please try to ignore the melted insulation on the connectors in the first photo, the result of a senior moment while connecting a battery for charging! Thanks for your feedback Dan and Andy.
Closed Thread