UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2018, 2:37 pm   #21
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC121 mk2 Disassembly Issue

There is a lot more slackness in your lever than in mine. Spring stretched?
Old 20th May 2018, 4:34 pm   #22
PsychMan
Octode

Yes I think so Barry. I’ve mucked about with it and effectively shortened it to retension and now it is stopping after all records have dropped, but still the size selection is off

It looks to me like it’s setting down in the 12’’ position for 10’’, 8’’ on 7 inch, and for 12’’ the 10’’ position
Old 20th May 2018, 6:12 pm   #23
PsychMan
Octode

This video shows current operation, though I have since retensioned the spring and it ends a cycle, just sizes the records wrong. The adjustment on the selector arm still doesn’t correct this. So I think the spring was a problem, but beyond that I’ve got something else wrong. Ive has enough for today and unlikely I can work on it again for a a week or so.

Thanks again Barry for those pictures, really helpful. I may however need to find another on eBay and look at the two side by side to crack this. If only it was an autoslim

https://youtu.be/l3pIX7BvpPU
Old 20th May 2018, 6:43 pm   #24
Audio1950
Dekatron

I remember that on one of the manufacturers' paper turntable instruction sheets, it said that if you get it set up correctly for 10" records, the rest will be set automatically. This advice may of course have referred to one of the more simple BSR models. The RC121 Mk2 may be a complicated bit of kit, and is undoubtedly a pig to set up, but ain't it a joy to watch when it's working properly?
Old 20th May 2018, 9:47 pm   #25
PsychMan
Octode

It is indeed , I had originally planned to stick an AT6 in this radiogram but it is a lovely deck and I don't want to go butchering the motor board. The size selection, though a right royal pain in the a**e for me right now, is quite nice for stacking 10 and 12 inch 78s.

And with regards 10'' setup, yes all the documentation I've seen refer to setting up for 10'', I.e 6 inch and 1/16 gap between the selector flag and centre of spindle on 10''. I have set this but obviously something underneath is out of wack as it still doesnt work as it should.

I found an unrestored example on ebay for £5 plus postage, hopefully having one next to it will enable me to see what I've done wrong.

Otherwise I will be asking Michael if he can sort this for me!!!
Old 21st May 2018, 2:55 pm   #26
Audio1950
Dekatron

Maybe the one you're getting from ebay will only need a clean up, so you can use that, and keep the original for spares?
Old 21st May 2018, 3:07 pm   #27
PsychMan
Octode

I considered that, but the one I'm getting is black and the original is a crème colour

I certainly wont rule it out for an easy life, it will at least fit
Old 4th Jun 2018, 9:21 am   #28
PsychMan
Octode

Well I finally cracked it!

The 2nd deck did help. I think the reason it took me so long is that the principle mistake I made didn't actually occur in the strip down of the size selector. Before that I had replaced the tone arm wire with better quality screened cable as the original was in rough shape. The tone arm wire enters a clamp underneath the tone arm assembly, and this clamp is secured to the assembly with a screw that enters a nut. I had replaced this, but what I also didn't realise was this bolt also servers to secure this to the shaft the tone arm is attached to. It was a little bit loose allowing for some play in the tone arm that shouldn't happen.

Once I tightened this and aligned it as per the other deck, 10'' and 7'' records were selecting fine. One fault remained, and this was that 12'' LPs were playing like 10''. This was because the size selector arm was swinging back inwards after the 12'' record dropped, when it should stay where it is pushed. This fault was caused by something I did earlier to add more tension to one of the springs, mistakenly believing it to have been overstretched. I overstretched it to mitigate this and reduce tension, and the size selector stayed put and 12'' records were playing ok. One final adjustment to a black bracket that affects tightness of a bearing governing how freely the selector can move inwards at the end of the cycle, and the deck was also stopping correctly.

I finally put a 10'', 12'' and 7'' on the deck in that order, and observed the set down operating correctly, and the deck stopping at the end. With some final adjustments and cleaning, this deck should be ready for a new cartridge and installation into the radiogram.

Thanks all for the advice, I honestly didn't think I'd be able to do this, but stubborn determination seem to have finally paid off
Old 4th Jun 2018, 8:14 pm   #29
Audio1950
Dekatron

Well done! I bet you have that glow of self-satisfaction that comes when you've finally cracked the problem. I know I would have!
Old 5th Jun 2018, 12:38 pm   #30
PsychMan
Octode

I certainly do Barry! Its not quite worn off either

The rest of the cleaning and setting up a new cartridge seem very straight forward by comparison
Old 5th Jun 2018, 2:45 pm   #31
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

A new cartridge should be an easy fit into the Garrard's detachable headshell. What type of cartridge are you considering?
Old 5th Jun 2018, 3:05 pm   #32
PsychMan
Octode

Perhaps controversially - A Stanton 500 will be tried first of all with a suitable preamp. I've found these heavy tracking magnetic cartridges to work well with old decks, not all though, depends on how much noise there is from the motor. But I do quite like them for 78s with the right stylus so have to try.

Failing that, a BSR SC12M maybe. Its a very nice sounding radiogram so I want the best pickup I can for it, I was having a look at musonic earlier, lots of repro ceramics, but I'm aware the quality on these can be iffy. I do have various cartridges around, but many appear to have hardened rubber and not sure I'd trust them for a machine like this which I plan to use quite frequently for older records.

Adam
Old 5th Jun 2018, 3:49 pm   #33
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'm very pleased with my SC12M in my Hacker Serenade. NOS examples (or ones saved years ago from horrid Fidelity UA-series record players etc.) still seem to be serviceable which is more than can be said about many others.

N.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 4:40 pm   #34
PsychMan
Octode

Actually I do have an SC11M around, does anyone know how they differ to the 12m?
Old 5th Jun 2018, 5:39 pm   #35
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Both the BSR SC11M and 12M have surprisingly low quoted outputs. In my experience they do play louder than one might assume. From memory the SC11M was c. 55/80mV and the 12M c.100/110mV. The SC12H (high output) "only" gives 190mV, which is far lower than most crystal medium output types. In our Stickys above there is a cartridge guide, but with little more BSR type number info than I have offered here.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 6:06 pm   #36
tracypaper
Octode

According to a compiled list of cartridges they do not differ, they use the same styli and have the same output.
Gaz.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 6:34 pm   #37
Audio1950
Dekatron

My radiogram, which is the same as the OPs is fitted with a BSR SX6M, and gives excellent results. It replaced the original Garrard GCS 10, which gave sterling service until a couple of years ago, and appears to have done no audible damage to my LPs, despite tracking at a whopping 10 grams! I'm aware that the SX6Ms are obsolete, but maybe the SC11 or 12 has similar output? I don't like fitting Garrard decks with cartridges from their biggest competitors, but needs must and all that......
Old 6th Jun 2018, 9:33 am   #38
PsychMan
Octode

Looking at the SC11, it has a thinner body, perhaps this is the only difference, smaller form factor, maybe for narrow headshells. There is a bracket to mount it in larger ones
Closed Thread